Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Emarginata x Ehlersiae

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Emarginata x Ehlersiae

Hi,

I have been busy gathering information about my plant, specifically regarding dormancy requirements.

I came across the following about P. emarginata: "The Tropical Homophyllous species have the simplest requirements. They have no dormancy, and only have one type of leaf-form"
    Souce: https://www.omnisterra.com/botany/cp...ings/pings.htm

And P. ehlersiae: "Perhaps 95% of these tropical heterophyllous species come from Mexico. They generally flower twice per year and exhibit different leaf types in summer and winter."

So a cross between a none dormant and dormant species, will it go into dormancy? So far it is not showing any sign of going dormant or leaf change. They are growing outside and receiving less light because of the seasonal change.
    Last edited by Brolloks; 05-30-2015 at 09:27 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some may, some may not, it depends on what it inherits from it's parents, you can try to induce dormancy by reducing your watering along with the lower lights and see if it goes dormant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SFLguy View Post
    Some may, some may not, it depends on what it inherits from it's parents, you can try to induce dormancy by reducing your watering along with the lower lights and see if it goes dormant
    Hi,
    Watering is at a bare minimum at the moment. Tray stands empty for days on end. Plant is growing like normal.

Regards

PS. I will leave it alone and keep watering at a minimum. The medium tends to stay wet for longer in any case, compared to warmer weather.
    Last edited by Brolloks; 05-30-2015 at 03:10 PM.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This cross may be similar to the case of P. 'Aphrodite'. Plants will go dormant if conditions necessitate, but otherwise they can stay in summer growth indefinitely.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    This cross may be similar to the case of P. 'Aphrodite'. Plants will go dormant if conditions necessitate, but otherwise they can stay in summer growth indefinitely.
    Hi, do you think it will have a negative effect on the plant if it does not go dormant though?
    I would hate to be the cause of the plants downfall

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plant will tell you what it wants. If it goes dormant, let it. If not, let it.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist