What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Selfing Pinguicula

I'm sure there are people on here who have experience self-pollinating Pinguicula. I have a P. cyclosecta that is putting up a flower, and I am wondering how different the F1 plants in a self-cross look from the parents, typically. Thanks for the info, the threads on Pinguicula pollination have been particularly helpful.

From my limited experience with Pings: varies widely. I had some that were indistinguishable from the parents, some that were very different.
In hybrids or cultivars (seems to me at least, highly anecdotical) the difference tends to be greater than in pure species. (P. vulgaris for instance seems totally resistant to any sort of variation... cross-fertilized or selfed.)
I'm guessing that in particular cultivars can vary strongly from the plants that are grown from their selfed seeds.

Last edited:
Generally speaking (assuming a selfing will even take), unless some sort of mutation occurs a selfing of a species should yield progeny with very little variation -- the chromosome "pool" is too limited to allow for any notable degree of variation in genotype or phenotype.

They resemble the parent plant closely. I try to cross pollinate my Pinguicula for the most part. But due to limited genetically diverse specimens in many cultivated species, selfing is the only viable option for some species unless you want to go collect another plant in the wild yourself. :p

Back