Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Expanding collection

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Expanding collection

I'm interested in acquiring a specimen of P. Weser. It seems any online outlet either does not stock them, or is sold out. Anybody know where I might find one?

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The true P. 'Weser' is a bit of a rarity nowadays. Most you'll find are imposters.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they are imposters, what species are they, then? That is a very interesting tidbit of information, and I'll be sure to keep it in mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pinguicula 'weser' is a cultivar, meaning that it has very specific attributes, and true Weser are propagated from the initial parent, or from clones of it. Not every moranensis x ehlersiae = p. Weser. But, I believe it is available if you look.
    Last edited by cwatson1414; 10-17-2015 at 05:05 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, in theory, if I bred Moranensis and ehleriae enough times, I could conceivably eventually produce a plant that has all the traits of Weser, BUT it still wouldn't be Weser, because it is not propagated from the original Weser strain, correct?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trout View Post
    So, in theory, if I bred Moranensis and ehleriae enough times, I could conceivably eventually produce a plant that has all the traits of Weser, BUT it still wouldn't be Weser, because it is not propagated from the original Weser strain, correct?
    Theoretically, yes, but like you said it could not be the actual P. 'Weser'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I had joined this world sooner. 22 years of life, wasted not knowing the amazing world of carnivorous horticulture.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sflynn View Post
    Theoretically, yes, but like you said it could not be the actual P. 'Weser'
    Technically, if the plant produced shares every single trait that 'Weser' has, then it can be considered the same cultivar; the rules of registration cover physical appearance and the general parentage (IF known), not the specific clonal lines. Look at Sarracenia 'Hurricane Creek White' or Drosera spatulata 'Tamlin', for example. Or D. burmannii 'Pilliga Red'.
    That said, exactly reproducing the cultivar is going to be just about impossible to do with how minutely variable these hybrids tend to be. And the parents would have to be the same forms as the original cross.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast