What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New arrival: pinguicula macrophylla

Giving this plant a second try after spending about a year growing Mexican pinguicula. This pinguicula macrophylla is brand new to me. I received it less than a week ago from a reputable nursery. It's growing about four inches from four 4' T8 lights, day temps around 80F, nights around 60F. Planted in a sand/peat/perlite, but I do have turface on hand if that's a necessity for this species. The new leaves are coming out sort of wonky. Some of the leaves it had on arrival had not quite fully unfurled. Is this symptomatic of an issue? Could the plant be entering dormancy?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 107
Something seems off; to me the middle leaves look very yellow.

Yes, they are. The photo is very true to color

Also, just to make sure everyone knows what they are seeing, the new leaves are not just rolled up waiting to unfurl. The are kinked, and bent at odd angles, the petioles are not.

It was forming a hibernacula. Things are ok.

Make sure you keep this one dry in winter, it will rot easily if kept too moist while in it's succulent phase. This species comes as close to a real dormancy as Mexican Pinguicula can get. It will form a bulb not unlike a head of garlic that will sink itself fairly deeply into the media. One of my favorite species.

Thanks! I've had a hard time finding a lot of species specific info and everything helps. A world of pinguicula has been good, though. I believe you responded with similar advice about Pinguicula macrophylla about a year ago. I failed with that plant for a number of reasons, but I'm feeling confident this time around.

Last edited:
Back