What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rock n Pings

Never had much luck with pings in soil. So I tried a different approach and it has paid off. Everyone show off your rocks! These guys stay on the front porch year round except when it gets below freezing.
image_zps6k1d0ixp.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Very neat. I just saw a similar rock on sale with a sickly looking plant on it at a local nursery. I thought about buying it, scraping all the old plant matter off and covering it with pings but I didn't have anyplace to put it. But yours looks great! It looks very natural and the pings have good color.

I dnt remember if u answered in a previous thread about how u got the pings to grow on/in the rock, so sorry if u already answered the question.. But im totally intrigued and find this something i may be able to do as a project with a few of my friends children who are really getting into unusual looking plants. Do u drill holes and stuff them with soil? Or do u do something else? Id really love to know :) thanks

This rock is volcanic and like pumice. The first one I bought is the one flowering and I used an old drill bit. Made a hole about 2 inches deep and 1 inch wide and filled it with your usual ping soil. The rest of them I used a screw-driver and just burrowed a few holes. I have a larger piece of the same rock that I'm saving for the future. I just cut it using a hack saw because I wanted a flat bottom so the pings wouldn't roll away. All the moisture is from the tray, I never watered on top. The moss just started growing from the media.

There's a hobbyist on Facebook that posts a lot of pictures and a few tutorial of pings on rocks.

I found the rock at a pond/landscaping place. Here are some better pics to see how happy they are!
Two plants
image_zps3ozzr7vj.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
This one is doing the same thing!
image_zpshh3zdizg.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
I thought I killed these two when planting
image_zpsrrx5q8tj.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Looks great.. I'll have to look up that tortorial thanks jim :)

Time for a bigger Rock! I'm gonna split some and replant on the larger piece. This is the same pumice stone I cut the original from. I think I will plant some Drosera on the original and see what happens.
image_zpsmfstzjig.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Wow, This is really cool! I'm going to have to try this someday.

Bonjour

great success

you can try also for these ping a mineral substrate

jeff

It has been awhile, but the plants seem fine. 3 of them are in dormancy. A couple are like succulents and the other is more like a cactus. I removed the pin holding one to the side of the rock, and it didn't fall off!
image_zpsmzjnjpxm.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

image_zpswsp7ylga.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back