User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bringing pinguicula out of dormancy?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonjour

hybrids are still more resistant than the taxons, culture conditions can be less restrictive, for example on the substrate.

jeff

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as your sun tolerance Q goes, you've been too vague for much help to be given.

1 Where are you located? The heat experienced in Texas will be different than that in Maine.

2 Was it summer sun? Winter sun? Makes a huge difference.

3 Did you harden the plants off first? If you didn't, that could easily have been the problem.

"Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well honestly, I wasn't really even planning on going into that whole issue in much depth. I was more concerned about the dormancy, because I do think I may have figured out some of my rookie mistakes since the summer. But, while we're on it now: I live roundabouts Chicago, the "pingpocalypse" happened during the summer, and I had moved them from a weak, crappy lamp to a brighter windowsill, and then from there tried to harden them off as best I could outside. They weren't really doing that poorly under the lamp, truth be told, but I figured I would try to get a couple to color up. The real issues, I am pretty sure were three huge things: 1. I didn't realize that for a bit of time each day, where I had placed them outside got a bit of direct sun that they weren't ready for. 2. It gets darn hot outside in the summer here. 3. I now am 100% sure I had been drastically under-watering them. (I really think that's the entire issue I was having before). Once mine decide to start growing carnivorous leaves again, I'm going to test the water hypothesis and see where it takes me.
    Last edited by squidfengshui; 01-25-2016 at 01:00 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonjour

here in europe , dormancy is done with a dry substrate (or slightly damp) during all the winter months (temperature> 5 ° c to 12 ° c approximately with good light), in May we start again to water by capillary slightly, and then we leave them out in the shelter of rain in a shaded place ,watering every 15 days by capillarity.

jeff
    Last edited by jeff 2; 01-26-2016 at 07:39 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So this is just a a little addition to my last post. Although I suspect pings Are most affects by light cues, sometimes they do odd things. Here is Pinguicula rotundifolia. Although all of them are in the same conditions, the same pot even, one is entering succulent growth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bringing pinguicula out of dormancy?-image-jpg  
    Last edited by cwatson1414; 01-27-2016 at 11:07 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha, how odd, what mysterious plants these are. Good to know, though! By the way, your pings are beautiful! I love to live vicariously through people who can make these grow so nicely.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pulled a couple of the stronger pings through and picked up a couple experiment plants. Think I'm maybe finally getting the hang of these guys! (Hopefully). (That fluff is from those little floating seed thingies that are all over the place).

Untitled
    Last edited by squidfengshui; 06-03-2016 at 06:10 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could do a lot worse than read this :-

Culture of Mexican Pinguicula
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast