Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need Help with P. Pirouette

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All the pings in my collection ('Pirouette' included) don't have soil with limestone in it; I think this is an opinion more often touted as fact that they need it. Something heavy on the mineral side (calcium especially) is usually better, and most might fare better especially the harder species that grow in gypsum etc., but they are more adaptable than some give them credit for....
    Agreed though that this time of year they are usually dormant. With the state your plant is in it's not going to go dormant like that, but if it re-settles itself and you see non-carnivorous leaves form, let it dry out. Many of the hybrids can go dormant if subject to the right conditions, but often don't, like anything with moranensis in it and that includes this one.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    All the pings in my collection ('Pirouette' included) don't have soil with limestone in it; I think this is an opinion more often touted as fact that they need it. Something heavy on the mineral side (calcium especially) is usually better, and most might fare better especially the harder species that grow in gypsum etc., but they are more adaptable than some give them credit for....
    Agreed though that this time of year they are usually dormant. With the state your plant is in it's not going to go dormant like that, but if it re-settles itself and you see non-carnivorous leaves form, let it dry out. Many of the hybrids can go dormant if subject to the right conditions, but often don't, like anything with moranensis in it and that includes this one.
    So at this point it's a waiting game to see if it bounces back. When you mean dry out, do you mean dry to the touch via the top soil? As of now I let them all come dry to the touch and then give them an 1".

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I say dry out, I mean some Mexican butterworts live alongside cacti; bone-dry. But that's only if they begin producing non-carnivorous leaves and go dormant; otherwise keep them just damp.
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    When I say dry out, I mean some Mexican butterworts live alongside cacti; bone-dry. But that's only if they begin producing non-carnivorous leaves and go dormant; otherwise keep them just damp.
    Okay thanks for your help, I really do appreciate it. I'll post an update when the Pirouette comes around.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonjour

here to LE MANS a lot of my ping ( temperate, mexican, andin,cuban) are in calcareous substrat with no problem , in acid substrate I have some temperate and all the subtropical US, in gypsum substrate a dozen of species.

just an other info

'Pirouette' = agnata x ( moranensis x ehlersiae)

jeff
    Last edited by jeff 2; 02-08-2016 at 01:39 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are nervous about letting your pinguicula dry out, check out these photos of p. agnata. And it's homophyllous.
    Pinguicula agnata

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonjour

see also on the same web site from my friend eric PARTRAT this page ARTICLES ON OR AROUND PINGUICULA

you have a lot of report on 'in situ' for P.agnata

jeff

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12