Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help with P. Pirouette

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Help with P. Pirouette

I received this P. Pirouette on 12/30 and it looked gorgeous. Few days later it lost some leafs (expected from being planted) but even today it still isn't any closer to where it was before. The picture looks rough but there's still new green growth in the center but the leafs never get bigger than the dying ones. Conditions are: 8" from a 4' 6 tube t5ho, high temps of 82 and lows of 73, humidity sits at around 40-60 depending on the time of day, soil mix is 1:1:1 perlite, peat, and vermiculite and it gets watered via tray method (1" of water) every two days. All my other Pings are growing fine in these exact conditions. Any ideas of what could be wrong? Would bagging it maybe help it?

Thanks,
    Justin

12/30

Today

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have to ask what on earth is going on with that soil? It appears something in it is making the plant rot. First order of business would be I suggest a full repot, to fresh perlite with some peat/vermiculite mixed in, no fertilizer...and pure water with no salts or other chemicals!
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hcarlton View Post
    I have to ask what on earth is going on with that soil? It appears something in it is making the plant rot. First order of business would be I suggest a full repot, to fresh perlite with some peat/vermiculite mixed in, no fertilizer...and pure water with no salts or other chemicals!
    I have some algae growth on most of my pots since there's no fan, which I'm playing to purchase. All soil ingredients are 100% fertilizer free and I use distilled water. All my other Pings were pitted the same day with the same batch and they're all okay. I'll still give it a fresh repot tomorrow, I'm just worried about how it'll handle the transition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Repotted the Aphrodite as well since its soil looked the same. Just the top layer was affected, everything else below looked normal. The only thing that makes me think the soil wasn't the issue is that the Aphrodite was growing perfectly fine in the same batch. Hopefully some airflow will keep whatever that was away. Since the roots are so short should I use an eye dropper and top water until it starts showing some more promising signs of life?

Thanks,
    Justin

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonjour

for me too much light , too much temperature, with high UV levels and high temperature always let the wet substrate

may be also not enough limestone in the substrate

you can use just rain water also, without fertilizer .

jeff
    Last edited by jeff 2; 02-05-2016 at 08:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need Help with P. Pirouette

Quote Originally Posted by jeff 2 View Post
    Bonjour

for me too much light , too much temperature, with high UV levels and high temperature always let the wet substrate

may be also not enough limestone in the substrate

you can use just rain water also, without fertilizer .

jeff
    So you're suggest to keep them in standing water constantly? I only water with R/O, never have used any form of fertilizer. I'm beginning to think it's not getting enough water. The roots were extremely short and its in a tall pot with only an 1" of standing water every three days. All my other Pings are thriving in these conditions but they're all generously larger and probably have a better root system... But would lack of water stunt growth like this?

Last edited by summit; 02-05-2016 at 08:47 AM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no, just a wet substrate ,not soggy.
    plants need oligo- element, if your water is demineralized they will have none .
    for me a limestone substrate, in my opinion, give longer roots

actually 'in situ' taxa are dormant, perhaps for hybrid apply to them the same recipes.

jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff 2 View Post
    no, just a wet substrate ,not soggy.
    plants need oligo- element, if your water is demineralized they will have none .
    for me a limestone substrate, in my opinion, give longer roots

actually 'in situ' taxa are dormant, perhaps for hybrid apply to them the same recipes.

jeff
    Okay so I should do some research on an ingredient to mix them that supplies them some limestone. Water wise the 1" I do makes them damp not waterlogged. I'm just confused on the fact that it's the only one struggling... I appreciate your help Jeff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast