What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need Help with P. Pirouette

I received this P. Pirouette on 12/30 and it looked gorgeous. Few days later it lost some leafs (expected from being planted) but even today it still isn't any closer to where it was before. The picture looks rough but there's still new green growth in the center but the leafs never get bigger than the dying ones. Conditions are: 8" from a 4' 6 tube t5ho, high temps of 82 and lows of 73, humidity sits at around 40-60 depending on the time of day, soil mix is 1:1:1 perlite, peat, and vermiculite and it gets watered via tray method (1" of water) every two days. All my other Pings are growing fine in these exact conditions. Any ideas of what could be wrong? Would bagging it maybe help it?

Thanks,
Justin

12/30

Today

I have to ask what on earth is going on with that soil? It appears something in it is making the plant rot. First order of business would be I suggest a full repot, to fresh perlite with some peat/vermiculite mixed in, no fertilizer...and pure water with no salts or other chemicals!

I have to ask what on earth is going on with that soil? It appears something in it is making the plant rot. First order of business would be I suggest a full repot, to fresh perlite with some peat/vermiculite mixed in, no fertilizer...and pure water with no salts or other chemicals!

I have some algae growth on most of my pots since there's no fan, which I'm playing to purchase. All soil ingredients are 100% fertilizer free and I use distilled water. All my other Pings were pitted the same day with the same batch and they're all okay. I'll still give it a fresh repot tomorrow, I'm just worried about how it'll handle the transition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Repotted the Aphrodite as well since its soil looked the same. Just the top layer was affected, everything else below looked normal. The only thing that makes me think the soil wasn't the issue is that the Aphrodite was growing perfectly fine in the same batch. Hopefully some airflow will keep whatever that was away. Since the roots are so short should I use an eye dropper and top water until it starts showing some more promising signs of life?

Thanks,
Justin

aeb31f818ce6266aa56e66a178acc397.jpg

Bonjour

for me too much light , too much temperature, with high UV levels and high temperature always let the wet substrate

may be also not enough limestone in the substrate

you can use just rain water also, without fertilizer .

jeff

Last edited:
Bonjour

for me too much light , too much temperature, with high UV levels and high temperature always let the wet substrate

may be also not enough limestone in the substrate

you can use just rain water also, without fertilizer .

jeff

So you're suggest to keep them in standing water constantly? I only water with R/O, never have used any form of fertilizer. I'm beginning to think it's not getting enough water. The roots were extremely short and its in a tall pot with only an 1" of standing water every three days. All my other Pings are thriving in these conditions but they're all generously larger and probably have a better root system... But would lack of water stunt growth like this?

Last edited:
no, just a wet substrate ,not soggy.
plants need oligo- element, if your water is demineralized they will have none .
for me a limestone substrate, in my opinion, give longer roots

actually 'in situ' taxa are dormant, perhaps for hybrid apply to them the same recipes.

jeff

no, just a wet substrate ,not soggy.
plants need oligo- element, if your water is demineralized they will have none .
for me a limestone substrate, in my opinion, give longer roots

actually 'in situ' taxa are dormant, perhaps for hybrid apply to them the same recipes.

jeff

Okay so I should do some research on an ingredient to mix them that supplies them some limestone. Water wise the 1" I do makes them damp not waterlogged. I'm just confused on the fact that it's the only one struggling... I appreciate your help Jeff.

All the pings in my collection ('Pirouette' included) don't have soil with limestone in it; I think this is an opinion more often touted as fact that they need it. Something heavy on the mineral side (calcium especially) is usually better, and most might fare better especially the harder species that grow in gypsum etc., but they are more adaptable than some give them credit for....
Agreed though that this time of year they are usually dormant. With the state your plant is in it's not going to go dormant like that, but if it re-settles itself and you see non-carnivorous leaves form, let it dry out. Many of the hybrids can go dormant if subject to the right conditions, but often don't, like anything with moranensis in it and that includes this one.

All the pings in my collection ('Pirouette' included) don't have soil with limestone in it; I think this is an opinion more often touted as fact that they need it. Something heavy on the mineral side (calcium especially) is usually better, and most might fare better especially the harder species that grow in gypsum etc., but they are more adaptable than some give them credit for....
Agreed though that this time of year they are usually dormant. With the state your plant is in it's not going to go dormant like that, but if it re-settles itself and you see non-carnivorous leaves form, let it dry out. Many of the hybrids can go dormant if subject to the right conditions, but often don't, like anything with moranensis in it and that includes this one.

So at this point it's a waiting game to see if it bounces back. When you mean dry out, do you mean dry to the touch via the top soil? As of now I let them all come dry to the touch and then give them an 1".

When I say dry out, I mean some Mexican butterworts live alongside cacti; bone-dry. But that's only if they begin producing non-carnivorous leaves and go dormant; otherwise keep them just damp.

When I say dry out, I mean some Mexican butterworts live alongside cacti; bone-dry. But that's only if they begin producing non-carnivorous leaves and go dormant; otherwise keep them just damp.

Okay thanks for your help, I really do appreciate it. I'll post an update when the Pirouette comes around.

Bonjour

here to LE MANS a lot of my ping ( temperate, mexican, andin,cuban) are in calcareous substrat with no problem , in acid substrate I have some temperate and all the subtropical US, in gypsum substrate a dozen of species.

just an other info

'Pirouette' = agnata x ( moranensis x ehlersiae)

jeff

Last edited:
If you are nervous about letting your pinguicula dry out, check out these photos of p. agnata. And it's homophyllous.
Pinguicula agnata

Back