What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaf pulling methods?

Hey so I just got some leaf pullings and some are resting on a bed of sand and peat while I have some in a zip lock baggie on a damp paper towel.

If anyone has any insights as to which method works best it would help me a lot. I'm trying my hardest not to touch them.

Three are of the leaves are p. laueana, I'm hoping all three germinate.

Bonjour

I use just perlite or vermiculite (pure these substrate are very healthy , without trash) and a transparent food box with lid .

I put the wet substrate in the box, I put the leaves for cutting above, petiole on the substrate, and then I close the box.

a good light at 20-24 ° C and it should work

jeff

I use a peat based mix (1:1:1 peat/sand/perlite) kept very moist and cover the pot with plastic wrap. I try to keep them in these conditions until they attain some size. I used to try keeping my pullings kind of dry but they were slow or unsuccessful

Okay I have the ones in the pit in a small ziplock bag wasn't sure if that was a good idea but hearing that a cover it needed helps.

one of the leaf pullings I noticed today looks a bit yellow, is this good or bad?

Bonjour

bad for me, the leaf must be evergreen, as they are no bulbils .

may be too hot in this ziplock bag

jeff

Yellow is not good. as for the pullings, I don't think one has to be too sophistucated, except with P. gypsicola leaves. Just pluck the leaves from the base and place on media of your choice, with the basal part slightly embedded. Ignore for about 3 weeks. By then, you should see some activity.

do I have to have the under lights? or can I just but them by the window?

Bonjour

inside, in front of a south window , to 20-24°c, no more, with a substrate( or a sopalin) always damp

jeff

what if the leaf pullings dont germinate? I'm really wanting them to germinate. I dont have access to these sorts of leaves, I was super lucky this time around.

'What if they don't take?' They'll just get brown and shrivel up and die, you'll know. Really you do just have to wait, there's not a whole lot to adjust. I put mine on a bed of chopped sphagnum in a regular pot in a tray- I use the little clear plastic dome with a hole in the top that came with my smoothie :) some air flow, good humidity; they're just in my regular cp set up where the mother plants grow, so good light and temps. I have some p. laueana pullings that I just put out, so we'll see..good luck!

Bonjour

Rareraven how did you do, the sample of the leaves ,just pulling gently over?

jeff

One of the pullings started to curl and there was a brown spot on it... thought it was going bad... two good ones left... Praying for one of them to germinate... I should have took more pullings I feel so stupid for not doing so.

Leaf pulling shouldn't die that fast if conditions are ideal. Did you pull the non-carnivorous leaves?

Yeah but I was starting to see the veins and cell boxes of the leaf.... this si my first time ever doing leaf pulling so I may have pulled off a bad leaf.

Yeah, take as many as you can without setting back the mother- I've always felt a little healthy stress can do a lot for a plant, as long as it's otherwise stable in good conditions. I went back and pulled the rest of the succulent leaves off that laueana after reading this, I'm glad I did!

man I messed up big time, I hate regreting things I could have done but I wasnt sure.

man I messed up big time, I hate regreting things I could have done but I wasnt sure.

We ALL have some failures. Just keep trying and you'll get it eventually.

I have one leaf thats germinated!

Back