What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wild lutea x caerulea hybrids?

I believe that I've read of this hybrid in captivity, but can it happen with wild plants?

It would depend on their natural range and elevation, if they overlap, then it's possible. All nepenthes can hybridize with each other, so range really is the deciding factor.

Last edited:
Oops, I didn't realize that I was in the butterwort forum, I thought I clicked on nepenthes. Sorry for the confusion there.

Far better to edit your first post Curtis then no-one would know about the oooops. :-D

Bonjour

have you a picture to this horticultural hybrid ?

never heard 'in situ' , but why not ???

jeff

Last edited:
This hybrid doesn't appear at all in the cpphotofinder. Unless it's been given a name.

Pinguicula photos

Last edited:
Both P. lutea and caerulea have chromosome counts of 2n=32, and they are closely related so theoretically a hybrid is possible. However, I've yet to see any hybrids between the southeast US butterworts either in cultivation or in photos in situ, so it may well be there are other obstacles to creating hybrids. In the wild, the coloration and/or timing of the flowers may prevent pollinators from switching between species as well.

Pinguicula x ['Sethos' x primuliflora] photos

Pinguicula sethos x prim is the only one I could find

I'm doubtful about this identification, it looks like a typical Mexican Pinguicula. Anyways, CPPhotofinder is not infallible, they can have some pretty dubious identifications since everything is self-reported.

It would depend on their natural range and elevation, if they overlap, then it's possible. All nepenthes can hybridize with each other, so range really is the deciding factor.
Oops, I didn't realize that I was in the butterwort forum, I thought I clicked on nepenthes. Sorry for the confusion there.

I question the ability to give advice without recognizing that neither caerulea nor lutea are Nepenthes species. Is it really necessary to regurgitate unsourced Internet hearsay?

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback y'all.

The reason that I ask is because here in Nassau County, Florida I have a field with a bunch of lutea and caerulea, but I noticed plants that had white flowers. At first, I wasn't sure what this was all about and suspected a possible hybrid, but I've since come to find that these are just a morph of caerulea (as indicated by the stripes in the flower).

I appreciate the (surprising amount of!) feedback. :)

P. caerulea leucantha and P. lutea alba are both naturally occurring white-flowered morphs, definitely cool that you might have found one of them in the wild.
And yeah, that supposed 'Sethos' x primul hybrid looks more like the flower selfed after the grower attempted to cross it, as there are no primul traits there; perhaps it's similar to how some Passiflora species are difficult to self-pollinate, but if pollen from a distant relative is applied this triggers selfing....

Bonjour

for me just the flower is a good determinant , here on the picture sethos x primuliflora we have just a rosette very close to a moranensis or its hybrids.

Both P. lutea and caerulea have chromosome counts of 2n=32, and they are closely related so theoretically a hybrid is possible
the hybrids are not only derived from the same species chromosome number, including 'in situ' .

here we have x 'Scully' grandiflora subsp grandiflora( 2n=32) x vulgaris subsp vulgaris (2n=64)

CHICXULUB have you some picture to your field with these ping ?

jeff

Last edited:
Note that 64 is a multiple of 32, thus the chromosomes can still line up, likely because as it is vulgaris probably resulted from a polyploidism at some point. And grandiflora and vulgaris are both closely related plants, so of course they would be able to hybridize.

Back