Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ScatterPants Mexican Pinguicula

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wanted to do a bit of an update on my collection of Pinguicula. I've learned a lot from growing them (and made plenty of mistakes already!!!). I think I have found a stable situation for them all now and am actually planning on enclosing the entire space and running a fogger through it which I think they will enjoy. Anyhow, have a look at some of the plants I've got going:

Here's a red vines tub that I put some turface on the bottom of and live sphagnum between the little pots. The pings seem to love it in here and springtail populations seem to have boom and bust cycles. Sometimes I can blow in there and hundreds of springtails will react.

Pinguicula esseriana

P. 'Gina' (Thanks to CactusDan for starting this from leaf pulling)

P. emarginata. This plant came pretty battered and is just making a recovery

P. esseriana grown from pullings of the earlier plant that fell off during shipping. They're nearly the size of the original plant I received already.

P. parvifolia. This one came in really bad shape. It's grown several small leaves and seems to grow them a bit quicker than they die off so I have hope.

P. reticulata. I am aware that P. reticulata and P. kondoi are supposed to be the same. The place I ordered from had pings for both names listed so I was curious and got both. This one is not looking that attractive yet but has a few growth points. It came with another plant that did not survive.

Here's the ones I got as P. kondoi

P. gypsicola

P. heterophylla

P. medusina. The main plant did not survive but one of its leaves sprouted from its tip so I'm hoping this little plantlet will grow well.

P. ehlersiae

P. gigantea in a 4" pot

P. cyclosecta

P. laueana got confused and wanted to go dormant in the summer. It has started to grow carnivorous leaves again at the wrong time of year but it's all my fault. Hopefully it will survive ok anyway.

P. jaumavensis that also somewhat seemed to think it was time to go dormant and had stalled out for a while. It's back to growing for now.

P. 'Aphrodite'. One of the rare times it hasn't been in flower since I got it in the spring.

Unknown Pinguicula from a friendly Portlander who came to the last TF meetup

And well this ping doesn't really fit in here but I'll put it anyway. It's P. primuliflora growing on a rock on live sphagnum.
    Last edited by ScatterPants; 09-18-2016 at 07:37 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome reticulatas/kondois. I got some in my order from BCP, I wonder if they are different clones. Once mine finally grow some roots and settle in, we can compare them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice ping

jeff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice plants! The P. primuliflora on the rock is really interesting.
    Just as a note on P. emarginata - in my experience they only make those sort of shorter "crinkly" leaves like in your picture when they're too dry. They should generally have more oval-ish or spatula shaped leaves.
    This species normally grows on shaded walls in a wet sort of moss or humus layer, and is used to getting more water than the other Mexican species.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a nice collection. You even got ahold of my favorite Mexican species!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    what substrate use you ?

jeff

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff 2, mostly turface and I have added crushed coral for some of the plants as well as a little bit of iron oxide powder. The P. jaumavensis I added a bit of cat litter. They are not all the same mix. I am still looking for some of the materials I see listed in substrate recipes...just tonight Nimbulan and I were trying to figure out where to get decent coarse-grained sand. I am a newbie so very open to further suggestion! By the way Jeff2 I love your plants and you are always making me want to get more pings! I just ordered 8 species of Mexican and temperate pinguicula and 3 hybrid plants over the weekend
    Last edited by ScatterPants; 09-20-2016 at 01:48 AM.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa... you have P. gypsicola! I would kill.... I mean wound slightly for a even a leaf! Do you do trades? Check out my pictures, if you're interested:

Plants 2016 by James Hill | Photobucket

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Want some gypsum for the gypsum species? I got more than I needed from the Portland Nursery.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jimscott - Unfortunately I am still a beginner with these so I'm just focused on trying not to kill it at the moment. If I manage to propagate it I will surely come to TF first!

Benurmanii - Sure I will take some off your hands. I would be more than happy to split the cost with you as well.

Here's a few Mexican Pinguicula hybrids that just came yesterday:

P. 'John Rizzi' The nicest condition of the bunch

P. 'Kewensis' Looks like half a plant but should be fine

P. 'Pirouette'

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast