Likes Likes:  9
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: ScatterPants Mexican Pinguicula

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scatterpants

what temperate species have you bought ?

JEFF

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff I do not have any plants but these seeds are coming right now: P. corsica, grandiflora, macroceras ssp. nortensis, poldinii, and vulgaris. Don't know if I will have any success but figure I will try!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    corsica-grandiflora subsp grandiflora,vulgaris subsp vulgaris are acid species

poldinii calcareous.

actually , these species are in hibernacula for the winter , it is not the season to sow .

for me there are two seasons for sowing , just after the seed capsules or so in April-May.

meanwhile, you can very well leave them in the bottom of your fridge, to sow in spring.

if that had been bubilles, you could have put them directly into the adequate substrate.
    Last edited by jeff 2; 09-24-2016 at 06:10 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm Jeff I wish I knew French so we could communicate better. My intent was to sow the temperate seeds outdoors in an unheated mini greenhouse and let them naturally stratify. I had read that the beginning of autumn is acceptable to sow temperate Pinguicula but it sounds like according to you I am mistaken! I trust you know what you're talking about but am not sure I quite understand. You said there are two seasons for sowing - what is the other season besides April-May?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonjour

oui en fait juste après la recolte de graines tu peux faire des semis , mais tu dois toujours passer par une periode de stratification par le froid .

le risque avec des semis d'automne ou de fin d'ete c'est d'avoir des plantes qui demarrent puis gelent , je t'en parle car cela m'est arrivé .

pour moi la meilleur periode pour les semis de tempérées c'est avril-mai. En attendant , pour ma part je les remise toujours au bas du frigo dans le bac à legume avant un semis definitif .

pour les tempérées l'ideal à cette periode c'est quand même la reproduction par bulbilles ( gemmes) , la pas de probleme

pour grandiflora ; corsica et vulgaris ce sont les formes types ?

jeff
    Last edited by jeff 2; 09-25-2016 at 02:05 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure it's just a language barrier. I ran Jeff's post through an online translator and I think he's understanding the term "sow" differently. It seems like he's taking it to mean that you've already done stratification, so you'd be attempting to germinate the seeds immediately and then they'd be too small to make it through dormancy. He recommends storing seeds in the fridge and then sowing in spring, after appropriate stratification treatment of course.

I have to say online translation for French->English is actually quite good. The output is far more readable than most languages.
    Last edited by nimbulan; 09-25-2016 at 09:48 AM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeff 2 thank you for your informative response! I love the internet. It is good to read of your experience. Perhaps I will split up some of the seeds and sow some in the autumn and leave others in the fridge. As for the seeds I got, they are P. corsica Bocca di Verghiu, P. grandiflora Ireland, and P. vulgaris Interlaken.
    Last edited by ScatterPants; 09-25-2016 at 05:58 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonjour

it is an excellent idea .

these 3 are acid species .

this spring I go to " col de vergio " in Corse see , here 'in situ' the specie corsica f corsica

JEFF

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my recent ping adventures someone mentioned this old thread about propagating Mexican pinguicula from leaf pullings. I am trying the technique and so far it has worked very well. I had very mixed results from the variety of ways I'd attempted before so have been looking for a more surefire path to success. Here's some results so far after putting leaves in baggies of damp sphagnum with Trichoderma harzianum powder (a product called rootshield). I have seen no indication whether or not the Trichoderma powder has had any affect but it certainly hasn't seemed to hurt the process. The only species I left out is P. ehlersiae which I didn't get a good picture of.

Here's P. cyclosecta exploding with multiple growths

P. gigantea. One of the four of these I started has a leaf where maybe 1/5th of it has died back but all of them have plantlets forming. That one leaf is the only ping leaf with any negative signs but it is likely just due to the large size of the gigantea leaves in the small plastic bag.

P. reticulata

P. jaumavensis

P. esseriana. I grew some plants from a leaf that fell off when I ordered my original esseriana. I sacrificed an entire one of those plants for pullings.
    Last edited by ScatterPants; 11-13-2016 at 02:20 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    excellent

have you tried with the same method , but just with a wet blotting paper ?

For seeding this method on paper is also very advantageous

jeff
    Last edited by jeff 2; 11-14-2016 at 12:46 AM.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast