What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. chilensis dividing

This is what looks like a new division appearing on my P. chilensis. Some of you may have seen this on FB or other forums, but I just wanted to share this, since not many people grow, or even talk about, this Ping.

You can also see some white mold-like substance on the leaf edges and by some old prey. Not sure if it is mold or some sort of mineral deposit (would Ping leaves even leave mineral deposits?). It doesn't seem to harm the plant in any way, but I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable can educate me on the matter.

13592338_817248555073286_213549085238808395_n.jpg

Last edited:
The white is definitely mold, feeding off remains of old prey, but so long as the plant is in good condition it should not be able to cause harm.

The white is definitely mold, feeding off remains of old prey, but so long as the plant is in good condition it should not be able to cause harm.

Alright, thanks. I believe that the source of most of it are the small black material that are on some of the leaves. My theory is that they are droppings from flies that land on the plexiglass I have right below the lights to shield off some heat. Or they may just be bits of dirt that blow onto the leaves when I turn my bigger fan on.

Bonjour

have you others plants in flower in the same area ?

jeff

I would lean more toward the black being bits of dirt and soil that just randomly get on the plants; I notice in the photos the mold does not really correspond to that, so that's not the cause. Any errant pollen as jeff may be suggesting), insect bits, etc. however that lands on the leaves and is not completely dissolved will become mold fodder.

Very cool! Never heard of this one. Also definitely mold. Does it need such humid conditions?

Very cool! Never heard of this one. Also definitely mold. Does it need such humid conditions?

Conditions are not really too humid. Humidity is always around 55% during the day (although likely a bit higher around the chilensis due to the media surrounding them). At night it rises up to 65%. I also have a fan that gets air circulation in my terrarium which also happens to get a slight amount of airflow under the lights where these pings grow. I don't have a fan setup to blow air directly under the T5s as they are already in an open environment, and I have learned that cooling the lights will also lead to a loss of their output.

What seems weird about the mold is that it doesn't occuring on the other plants when they catch prey, but since I have seen this mold on my chilensis and it does not appear to be causing it any harm, I'm not going to worry about it.

Last edited:
[MENTION=3500]jeff 2[/MENTION] I tried to send you a pm but your inbox is full

see my PM

JEFF

Last edited:
Bonjour

'Any errant pollen as jeff may be suggesting' yes may be , when I see , I think , a dry flower on the leaf.

jeff

Bonjour

'Any errant pollen as jeff may be suggesting' yes may be , when I see , I think , a dry flower on the leaf.

jeff

Yes, the flower fell off after it finished blooming (seed pod now swollen). I don't know why I have not removed the flower yet. Perhaps I am a little too "hands-off" with my plants.

Back