Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Forcing Dormancy/Photoperiod? (Plus some general Dormancy questions)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff 2 View Post
    Bonjour

here you have 2 hybrids

for the taxons I think we need to remain in close conditions of the "in situ".
    for me 3 or 4 great group
    -mexican
    -temperate
    -caraibes
    -south america
    with different culture ,according to their climate, and their environment 'in situ' , thus, a Mexican does not grow in the same way that a tempered .
    for me if your ping leaves are red , probably too much intensity of light.

in these 4 great groups, dormancy (when there is) not reponds has the same cause.

jeff
    They are def a very deep pink i'd say. Should I reduce the photoperiod? Unfortunately I also keep the light over my sundews so maybe I just need to raise the light up a bit.

Also yeah the dormancy thing when I mix them with other tropicals is def. a problem....but I feel like I saw somewhere on the site here say they don't really "need it". But I mean even reducing photoperiod for the tropicals would seem like it wouldn't hurt them either (hopefully).

Sidenote: Does anyone water their pings like a normal houseplant? instead of doing the tray system?
    Last edited by Mercfh; 07-14-2016 at 08:11 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is possible to water pings like a regular houseplant as long as you are careful to not get the water on the leaves as it washes the stickiness off

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Man, there is a LOT of different information about pings. I've been reading through threads and some people say 100% mineral media is good....some don't.

I've seen that pings SHOULDN'T be pink...some say it should. I mean mine look fine right now, albeit they are growing slowly. that being said I do worry about root rot....but I wonder how much "dryness" they can deal with? Surely a decent amount considering where they come from.

I mean my pings are PRETTY DARN pink. Although I think reducing a photoperiod wouldn't hurt to keep things more natural...just will have to figure out a schedule though.

I am probably going to be sort of refining my setup with some new plants coming in, I've wanted to repot some of the plants (im assuming it's ok to have 2 smaller plants in one container (it's a 5.5" tall square one). I was thinking of maybe using 50% of the APS aquatic mix (Amazon) and 50% of the sand (Although im still not sure on which sand, some sort of coarse sand I would think)? would that be ok or should I maybe add something else in? Just for the simple fact that it reduces the need to repot.
    Last edited by Mercfh; 07-14-2016 at 08:59 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12