Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: P. pumila, How wet?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

I've just managed to germinate some (not many) seeds of P. pumila 'Pasco Giant'. Whilst I know the watering requirements of most of the S.E. USA Pings, I have no idea how wet this plant likes to grow. Any help with this and other aspects of it's cultivation is much appreciated.

Thanks
    Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some sundews like the soil quite dry.....but most of the pings in the U.S.A. usually like there soil wet or at least damp all the time. You can't drown it but you CAN dehydrate it so i would give it a moderate amount of distilled water in a tray under the pot and see how it goes. You can try an experiment with the plant top see what it likes best.I don't know much about pings so this is my best advice for this kind of thing. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    Growlist
    I'm back?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't keep this as wet as your primuliflora. Tray watering is fine in the warm months, but let the tray dry out in the cooler months for a day or so before refilling it. A little extra sand in the mix is good. The pumila I grew from seed matured to flowering size in 2 months!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, I'll keep the little darlings drier.

Cheers

Vic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have presumed that you are growing primuliflora very wet? Almost as a sub-aquatic? I worry about that "a little drier"...they do need to stay quite moist, just not flooded :-)
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tamlin
    Yes my P. primuliflora is very wet, water currently level with the top of the pot, I do allow this to fluctuate a bit though. It lives quite happily in semi-shade in my conservatory (min temp 8C). Plants occasionally die off, but I keep up propagation and I've had these plants for over three years now, they flower profusely each Spring, a lovely sight.
    I have my small (two tiny leaves) P. pumila housed in a terrarium (14hrs light, max day temp 25C, min night temp 15C, humidity 60-70%) standing in about 1/4 inch of water which I will allow to dry up before replenishing. Having planted the seed as soon as I received it, rather than in Spring, I thought it best to give the seedlings a nice warm, bright, stable environment to get going in. I will probably move the pot out of the terrarium in the Spring, but not into the same water tray as the P. primuliflora, which is full of Utrics as well as the Pings.

Cheers
    Vic

southern methodist university--dallas, tx
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ping pumila--cool!

Now, before I ask, let me stress that I am NOT asking for a handout--just info. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

I'm trying to put together a "Texas native" collection, and I was wondering if anybody knew where one could acquire a P. pumila... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img] I don't know if I haven't been surfing on the right sites or what--but I have come up short...

If anyone can help out, I'd sure appreciate it. Cheesy, I know, a native Texan doing the native Texas thing...HAHAHAHAHA [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    --most effective, your majesty! and tell me, will you destroy this..."earth?"--

--later! i like to play with things awhile...before annhiliation--

from the movie Flash Gordon!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have some seedlings that should be large enough by spring to share with you, provided they do well over the winter. What other Texas natives do you grow?
    "Grow More, Share More"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast