What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

P. pumila, How wet?

I've just managed to germinate some (not many) seeds of P. pumila 'Pasco Giant'. Whilst I know the watering requirements of most of the S.E. USA Pings, I have no idea how wet this plant likes to grow. Any help with this and other aspects of it's cultivation is much appreciated.

Thanks
Vic

Some sundews like the soil quite dry.....but most of the pings in the U.S.A. usually like there soil wet or at least damp all the time. You can't drown it but you CAN dehydrate it so i would give it a moderate amount of distilled water in a tray under the pot and see how it goes. You can try an experiment with the plant top see what it likes best.I don't know much about pings so this is my best advice for this kind of thing.
smile.gif

Don't keep this as wet as your primuliflora. Tray watering is fine in the warm months, but let the tray dry out in the cooler months for a day or so before refilling it. A little extra sand in the mix is good. The pumila I grew from seed matured to flowering size in 2 months!

Thanks, I'll keep the little darlings drier.

Cheers

Vic

I have presumed that you are growing primuliflora very wet? Almost as a sub-aquatic? I worry about that "a little drier"...they do need to stay quite moist, just not flooded :)

Tamlin
Yes my P. primuliflora is very wet, water currently level with the top of the pot, I do allow this to fluctuate a bit though. It lives quite happily in semi-shade in my conservatory (min temp 8C). Plants occasionally die off, but I keep up propagation and I've had these plants for over three years now, they flower profusely each Spring, a lovely sight.
I have my small (two tiny leaves) P. pumila housed in a terrarium (14hrs light, max day temp 25C, min night temp 15C, humidity 60-70%) standing in about 1/4 inch of water which I will allow to dry up before replenishing. Having planted the seed as soon as I received it, rather than in Spring, I thought it best to give the seedlings a nice warm, bright, stable environment to get going in. I will probably move the pot out of the terrarium in the Spring, but not into the same water tray as the P. primuliflora, which is full of Utrics as well as the Pings.

Cheers
Vic

Ping pumila--cool!

Now, before I ask, let me stress that I am NOT asking for a handout--just info.
smile.gif

I'm trying to put together a "Texas native" collection, and I was wondering if anybody knew where one could acquire a P. pumila...
confused.gif
I don't know if I haven't been surfing on the right sites or what--but I have come up short...

If anyone can help out, I'd sure appreciate it. Cheesy, I know, a native Texan doing the native Texas thing...HAHAHAHAHA
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I have some seedlings that should be large enough by spring to share with you, provided they do well over the winter. What other Texas natives do you grow?

Tamlin,

Muchisimas Gracias!!  The only other Texas native I have at present is S. alata...but that is only for now. I am still rather new to the CP thing--but I hope to get a nice collection going once the winter is over.

If I remember correctly, Andreas Wistuba advertises some D. brevifolia which I hope to lay my hands on. D. capillaris is going to be a bit more difficult.

Once the collection gets going--I will definitely let people know what I have--along with pictures with the Texas flag as backdrop, etc. etc.  
tounge.gif

tounge.gif

tounge.gif
 HAHAHAHAHAHA

Thanks again for the offer--we will reconvene in spring and see what (if anything) we can work out.
biggrin.gif

john

I can also set you up with Drosera capillaris seed, no problem although I can't say that it would be the Texan form. I might even be able to manage brevifolia seed by then. Your project sounds very interesting. What other species ae Texas natives?

Tamlin--again, thanks for your very kind offers
smile.gif
. The above mentioned Drosera are the only dews from Texas. S. alata is the only pitcher--but there are two forms--the regular, and the "windows" form. I only have the regular. Then there are the ubiquitous Utrics--U. gibba, U. cornuta, U. subulata, U. juncea and U. radiata. And, that is about it. I hope the project works out well...but, it will be fun nonetheless. D'Amato's book says that D. brevifolia are pretty handy self-pollinating annuals. Once everything is up and running--I hope to get some good seed so I can start some trades of my own.
smile.gif
smile.gif

Sorry if this thread has gone off topic, lol. I have to disagree with D'Amato: Drosera brevifolia is perennial if given good culture, returning from the roots in the fall after dying off after seed set in the summer.

Email tamlindd@yahoo.com when you are ready for seed.

is this an offer for anyone? or just a specific person? I guess I didn't read this topic well, lol. Thanks,
Spectabilis73
smile.gif
tounge.gif
tounge.gif

I'll go through it again
smile.gif
smile.gif

Back