What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Out Door Pings?

Are there any Pings that I can grow in an outdoor bog year round? I live in Georgia Zone 7. I have Pitcher plants, sundews, and venus fly traps in it now.
Thanks

Ya there are, I can't remember thair names right now, but I will go home and check my book. By year round, do you mean, pings that don't require dormancy, or pings that will tolerate a full spectrum of seasonal changes?

Magore,

Where bouts in GA? I'm in Atlanta (Duluth if you want to get technical.)

I'm not positive but I think oyu can do primufolia. I know there are quite a few others but I can't remember them off the top of my head. I'll look in to this too and get back to you

Pyro

Hi Magore,
You can try growing some warm-temperate pings outdoors in GA. Try P.caerulea, lutea or planifolia. They are not annuals like many of the other warm-temperate pings(i.e. lusitanica) P.Primuliflora and ionantha should work also although they can be grown as sub-tropicals/tropicals.

*shrugs* uh ya, what he said:wink:.

Listen to CP2K he is the Ping King

1\    /\    /\    /1
1 \  /  \  /  \  / 1
1  \/    \/    \/  1
1                   1
1 ___________1

...well...you get the idea;)

(Edited by CP2k at 8:28 pm on Mar. 6, 2002)

(Edited by CP2k at 8:29 pm on Mar. 6, 2002)

I live in Hiram, which is between Marietta and Douglasville. By surriving outdoors, I mean that I plant it and the only thing else that I have to do is water every few weeks in the summer and remove the tree leaves in the spring. My bog is about 9 feet square and is about 24-30 inches deep. I have a layer of  river sand that is about 12-16 inches topped with a mixture of 2 parts peat and 1 part river sand. I am working on getting spagahaum moss to grow over the open areas.  Some open areas are already covered with normal woodland type moss.
Marjorie

Yes, the plants listed in the above posts can live outdoors year-round in Georgia. I would recommend the caerulea, planifolia, ionantha and lutea as the best possible canidates for growing outdoors.

Thanks for all of the input, now does anyone know where I can get some of these. I would like about 2-3 of each type to see which ones do the best.

Marjorie

Better have a look at that river sand before you plant too much in it! River sand can often contain high mineral content dangerous to many species of carnivorous plants. A good test is a drop or 2 of hydrochloric acid: if there is a fizz then the material may be unsuitable for CP cultivation. Sand needs to be quartz (silica) based. Sand containing lime (as in limestone) is quicky leached out by the acidity of the peat, and is concentrated at the surface by capillary and evaporative action, right where it can do the most harm.

Thanks for the heads up, I will check the sand. I am sure that it is ok since this will be the third year that I have had pitcher plants in it. I added more pitcher plants, sundews and venus-fly-traps last spring and they seam to be comming out of dormacy OK. The first year I mainly grew "normal" bog plants, three way sedge (sold as dwarf bamboo), water Iris and a few plants sold as marginals. Maybe that helped if the sand was not good to start with. The pitcher plants didn't realy take off until the second year.

grandiflora & vulgaris are completely hardy. they die down to resting buds in winter

Back