Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pings you Own!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wait until I can see that the planlet has formed it's own root system, and the cut it off and plant it.

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Vic. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

suzanne
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    grandiflora
    gypsicola
    heterophylla (or medusina ?)
    x Sethos
    vulgaris (if I can find them in my bog-garden again)

I'm not a big fan of Pings as you can see.

here's a picture of a P. grandiflora flower :

Martin

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice picture. If your P. heterophylla grows plantlets on the ends of it's leaves then its P. medusina if not its P. heterophylla. P. medusina is the new name for P. heterophylla Forma 'Alfredae' which has recently been split as a new species. There are no doubt other structural differences between the plants, but I have not yet read the paper describing P. medusina as a seperate species.

I have just received P. debbertiana and P. reticulata to add on my list too. Does anyone else grow P. reticulata? is it the same species as kondoi? I have heard it's pretty tricky over winter and would appreciate any useful advice.

Cheers
    Vic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opps...didn't even notice this post. This might be a little late, but...here is what Oliver Gluch from Germany mentioned to me about kondoi/reticulata.

your question about P.kondoi:
    if P.reticulata is really distinct from P. kondoi, that's difficult to answer.
    P. kondoi was described first in the 70's from herbar material.
    P. reticulata was described later by Jan Schlauer on the base of one plant growing in the Botanical Garden in Frankfurt, Germany.
    I am quite sure that the P. reticulata I grow is originated from that plant. Some years ago I have received some plants from Japn, where the person was telling me that his P. kondoi were some offsprings from the original plant described by Mr. Kondo.
    If I compare the flowers of the 2 species (?), then I can say that P. reticulata has a more red-brown coloured spur and tube and the corolla leaves are a little longer and narrower. But is that already enough to be distinct? Further in the description of P. reticulata it is mentioned, that the hair at the flower stalk of P. reticulata are non-secretory. I have tried to check, but it is difficult to say without a microscope if P. kondoi has secretory hair. Perhaps that is true. But what is absolutely not true is that P. kondoi only has white coloured corolla lobes. This is definitively a mistake and not true. Perhaps the herbar material was only white.

It is up to you to decide if you consider P. reticulata as distinct from P. kondoi.
    Further I can't garantuee you if the plants from Japan labelled 'P. kondoi' are really offsprings of plants coming from the type location. People who already tried to find P. kondoi in its habitat told me, that there are no Pinguicula plants to find where the location should be, but generally P. kondoi seems to be more widespread that mentioned in the description by Casper and Kondo.
    [/QUOTE]

I am currently growing P.kondoi, but I have not had the chance to observe its winter dormancy habits as this is a recent aquisition for me. The safest route to go during the winter would probably be to give the plant a dry dormancy(tends to be safer than keeping mex. pings too wet during their dormancy period...rot).

Hope this helps [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks CP2k, that's exactly the kind of response I wanted and worth the wait. I was going to give it a dry dormancy along with most of the other mexicans.
    Thanks
    Vic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Hi !!
    This is my little list of pings:

P. alpina
    P. leptoceras
    P. gypsicola
    P. x weser

Kind regards

rajah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pinguicula grandiflora

That is my ping collection...but I have 1 parent and about 6 little babies just sending out new leaves~! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

9. Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast