Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just got my butterwort

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always heard negative comments about that particular nursery. I'm not going to support them with MY money. There are more reputable nurseries around, including this one.

Suzanne
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote (Joachim @ Aug. 18 2002,06:51)
    Hmm,

I've read this post twice and well, I don't believe the story plantdoctor trys to tell us. Someone having that many CP and experience would not only order a single plant. The style of the story does strongly remember me of someone else not posting any more at ********** forums.

Joachim[/QUOTE]
    I concur...

Perhaps I misunderstood, but did you put a layer of peat, then a layer of perlite, then a layer of peat, etc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plantdoctor,

Please refrain from yelling. If some one disagrees with you and you chose to retort that is fine so long as it is civil. Screaming at the top of your lungs is not civil.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!! unknownclown's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what the problem is myself ok the plant was sent bare root if you order CPs or any other plants off of the internet you should know that this is a common way of shipping plants.

Ok now onto the size its as big or little as your palm not including fingers...Hm..my palm is 3 and a half inches from where my thumb is to the end by my pinky from wrist to where fingers begin thats about 4 inches a little under but close enough. Ok so 3 and a half to 4 inch diameter sounds like a darn good deal to me. DId the site by any chance lead you to think it would be larger?

How can the soil be dry when theres condensation in the bag [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/confused.gif[/img] hm.. well ok I've had some plants arrive that were dry so I guess it could happpen.

Hm.. Now what I dont get the most is that if you have heard that they supply poached plants and nothin but bad stuff about them why would you even consider buying from them at all? tsk tsk tsk shame on you!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif[/img] well I guess that wont happen again [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

Word of advice if you dont see something here on the site and you wish you did call them!!! they very well could have some stashed and not listed I do it alot and always find what I need. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] If not check some others places there are plenty of nurseries that supply them and if you have a problem finding a particular one post it here people are more than happy to help.

One thing though Pyro is right this realy isnt the place to get snippy with other forum members.If there is ever a problem please contact a mod or Phil and Jeff so we can straighten it out. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]
    I am the weirdo who sits next to you on the bus!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't say anything about Peter Pauls, I have never (and will never) deal with them.

I was in a bog this weekend, a protected "national monument" where taking plants, seeds, or picking anything is illegal and posted in many places (the signs made this VERY clear). The plants were mainly S. purpurea, D. rotundifolia, D. intermedia (not sure), and a bladderwort (U juncea or cornuta? yellow flowers, terrestrial). I saw hundreds of sarracenia flowers. After a few minutes, I wondered, why are so many flowering, but none are done flowering? After looking around, I noticed at least 15 cut flower stalks, and footprints leading off the boardwalk into the bog mat (two sets, at least). I don't think many plants were taken, but it seems someone here in New York has a very large collection of illegally gathered S. purpurea ssp. purpurea seeds. I didn't notice any cut sundew stalks, but I didn't see many with seeds either, though most of the D. rotundifolia were just starting to flower.
    I also saw a pair of Lincoln's sparrows, and a huge snapping turtle, and there were S. purpurea everywhere in this bog, many of them large, sme flowering, and a few seedlings (actually, I was really surprised, I didn't see many small ones at all.)

BoooOOOOooooo!!!!! unknownclown's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]
    I am the weirdo who sits next to you on the bus!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooh there's a national monument bog here in NY??
    but thats hOrribLe how people did that!...I hope those seeds from the current flower stalks can make it into plants...in that bog of course [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Some" people do not feel that wholesale rape of Sarracenia seed pods, say about a half a bushel, at 50 cents a head is unethical. After all, it not illegal to collect them, they are not protected by law except in certain protected places. "Some" people offer to trade rare species of plants if someone (say a newbie) will only go out and simply destroy a habitat so that their nursery may turn a profit by dealing them out to the only members of CP society that will have anything to do with them: newbies. Only a newbie would deal with such Sarracenia scavaging scumbags, because they have not yet learned the sordid details of how the business is run. Be careful who you are dealing with, and if someone lays the slick line that all plants ultimately stem from field collected plants, realize there is a vast difference between sensitive collection by persons qualified to determine of the population can withstand the pressure of such collection, and those who neither know or care where field collected material is gathered from, as long as it serves to increase their bank account. There are nurseries who are ethical, and deal only in material they have propagated from their own stock. Pet Fly Trap is one such, and I will provide a list of many others on request if needed. With the universal jepordy these plants are in, whether there is legislation on the books or not to make it a crime, it is a CRIME, and one of vast proportions! To contribute to the eventual extinction of these plants for profit is reprehensible, if not outright evil. Should a nursery like this offer me my heart's desire for a penny, I would spit in their face. This happened to me as a newbie. I was offered such, and money besides, when a "certain" nursery owner found I had access to a Sarracenia habitat. I did not accept the offer, and I had a lot to say about it then to the owner. This business is still in operation, more is the pity, close to 30 years later, and it stays in business by targeting newbies who know no better! I can only imagine the destruction this mindset has caused in Sarracenia populations here in New York, and elsewhere. I also caution you all to avoid good deals on Sarracenia purpurea on Ebay, unless you know where the plants originate from. These organic beings deserve our protection and respect. Ignorance is one thing, but to know the plight of the species and still be indifferent to it is sick.

Sorry mama.
    "Grow More, Share More"

9. Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast