Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just got my butterwort

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, you heard right. I ordered from somewhere else other than **********. But they didnt have butterworts in! Yea, so i just got it today and, it comes to me in a tiny TINY box like no taller than 2 inches, and not much wider than 1 inch. It was like so small it would fit in the palm of your hand, just barley covering the whole palm I said palm! not fingers to, just the little thing that has lines on it. So i open it up, the outside has a sticker that has tiny tiny tiny print that says live plants, do not throw! I mean come on! So i get to the butterwort, it sitting in there with a small amount of soil and its crammed in a small plastic bag that has butterwort written on it in sloppy, permanant marker, handwriting. So i get the poor thing out, and i shout "Breathe you fool! Live and breathe!" Okay so the bag is burning up! and the soil is dead dry, very little condensation in the bag. I quickly jump into the garage grab my industrial size of Swamp Peat Moss. Now, tons of people have told me that PeterPauls does Illegul picking from the wilderness. But now i know that's true, as for it was not potted when it came, so i guess when they saw someone ordered, they shouted "Yo bert, go to the local bog and pull a butterwort, wez got a order." So i grab the bag and run to my basement and open a cabinet and i pick out a little round pot about 4 inches tall 4 inches wide, and i also grab my garbage bag full of perlite (which isnt so full anymore, i own tons of carnivorous plants, that im repotting all the time and testing, like testing VFT's with tap water, which only 2 of them have died out of my 10 testers&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] So i run upstairs fill about half a inch, put perlite, half inch,perlite. And so on, then i put him in, and fill the rest of the pot up with peat moss around him, neatly. I watered him a few inches in his tray which i grabbed from outside in my garden of boggy plants (VFT's nepenthes and pitcher plants which is a few feet away from my 10 gallon pond filled with U.gibba and other aquatics). So now hes in the window. So anyways, peterpauls really stinks. It just makes me mad to know they dont even care about tiny lives that need there help to grow! Well, the ones they actulley own to sell for more money, rather than the ones that they pick.
    Oh, so this is how you make a signature.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, being sent bare-root doesnt mean it was field collected (even though alot of ppl say they do field collect , but they are in NY, i doubt theyre are any pings wild there). Anyways, alot of people do send bare-root, but how they sent it really stinks.
    Taproot, Anti-Flag, The Casualties, Alkaline Trio, Eleventeen, Deadsy, AFI...what's not to love?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea, i know!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mamma always said if you can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything at all. As regards Peter Pauls Nursery and it owner, you will notice that my mouth is very, very shut.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You, like peterpauls? Yes, actulley i will yell about this not keep quiet, my butterwort isnt looking good! I will make sure not to many people order from peterpauls anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm,

I've read this post twice and well, I don't believe the story plantdoctor trys to tell us. Someone having that many CP and experience would not only order a single plant. The style of the story does strongly remember me of someone else not posting any more at ********** forums.

Joachim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LoL. I have you beat in your words. I DO NOT OWN ANY BUTTERWORTS. EVERYTIME I DECIDE TO GET A FLOCK OF NEW PLANTS, I ORDER 1. TO SEE IF I CAN TAKE CARE OF IT. I DONT ORDER 30 AND NOT KNOW IF I CAN CARE FOR THEM, THEN I KILL EM CAUSE I CANT? HMMMMPPH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any plant (carnivorous, orchid or otherwise) that I've ever ordered (with the exception of a Cephalotus follicularis which has extremely touchy roots) was sent bareroot in a baggie with a minimal amount of potting soil. Some companies do sell potted plants (********** is one) but 90% send plants bareroot - it doesn't mean they're wild collected.

I ordered a bunch of sundews and pings from a nursery in florida and I greatly assumed these plants to be way too touchy for bareroot type shipment (not only bareroot but with wet kleenex wraped aroudn the roots). But they are doing fine now, it took them a month of shock wearing off but now they are strating to put up new leaves and tiny dew drops. So take care of your plant and it should be OK, I lost all the leaves on the Ping. moraensis with the exception of one and now it has about 6 small leaves each following one getting larger and larger.

If you expect to be shipped potted plants tell the nursery you're ordering from-Many times they'll do it with no complaints but you will have to pay more for it due to the extra weight, price of growing container, etc. Unless they make it a policy to only ship potted specimens.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast