Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pinguicula 'Weser' vs 'Sethos'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you are reporting that hundreds or thousands of unique clones of the hybrid Pinguicula moranensis x Pinguicula ehlersiae and/or Pinguicula ehlersiae x Pinguicula moranensis have been distributed as Pinguicula 'Weser'. Now that is some real sad news.

I would be very interested to have the opportunity to observe the "standard" images of these cultivars from Adrian Slack's book (Insect-Eating Plants and How to Grow Them), but alas I am unable to locate a copy of it.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to Eric Partrat's assistance in sending me a scanned copy of the "standards" image of these two cultivars from page 113 of Insect Eating Plants and How to Grow Them by Adrian Slack, I compiled this page:

Weser vs Sethos or is it something else

It is now enabled, I am claiming "fair use".

Apparently the "standard" supports the description in the text very well. Neither cultivar appears to have "pink" flowers, nor do the written descriptions support "pink" flowers. I am in doubt about the ID of the plant I had obtained as Pinguicula 'Weser'. I once thought it might be Pinguicula 'Sethos', but since seeing the "standard" for that cultivar I believe it might just be an unnamed cultivar of the hybrid Pinguicula moranensis x Pinguicula ehlersiae.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 12-15-2007 at 10:42 AM.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joseph,

How different in coloration are those Slack flowers different than your clones'? I mean maybe the printer had a tone error? Then again it seems that the lobes of the petals on Slack's plants are more full than yours.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the shape and color are distinctly different. More than enough for me to have serious doubts about calling my plants by any of the registered cultivar names for this hybrid.

I gauge this not just by the "standard" photograph colors, but by the colors written in the descriptions.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PMan, thanks for putting up the scanned photos and standard in one document. This helps a lot . Now, it is up to those growing and distributing these plants to take a close look at their plants and fix misidentifications and also to correctly name the photos that they have posted on their web sites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple of months ago, I made some comments about moranensis var. caudata "Longwood" and how these are a hybrid between moranensis and ehlersiae. Today, I compared some flowers of the 'Sethos'(from CC) and my caudata "longwood" and I can tell no difference at all. The first flower of the season of my 'Sethos' from CC was purple, but now the plant is producing flowers of a pink-purple coloration. Maybe this is caused by a lengthening photoperiod, warmer temps etc.
    These plants produce flowers like the 'Sethos' in the links above.
    On another note, I have a rectifolia that has produced a flower with 4 lobes(one on top, three towards the bottom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A cultivar can only be reproduced by cuttuings (cloning) or state otherwise (see P.'Aphrodite' extract below).

A. Slack named only one plant 'Sethos' and only one 'Weser' from the same parentage after a crossing and a selection between all the plants he had.

If you are sure that your plants are derivated from A. Slack plants, you can use the names. If not, we should use the name 'similis weser' and 'similis sethos' or another name you could register. Maybe the original crosses are lost and extinct. I am sure that J.J. LABAT have the original clone of Sethos but for weser, he had it from Japan and the person there can't remimber who gave it his plants.

As stated before, this is not the same for P.'Aphrodite' as many plants are named that way :

here is an extract from their description in their site :
    "we were able to observe the nature of a large number of individual plants. We did not find any significant variability among the individual germinated plants; hence we regard all the individuals resulting from this crossbreeding as identical. The plants are eminently interesting, unique and deserve a special epithet. We have sufficient information to describe the new cultivar we name Pinguicula ‘Aphrodite’".
    Eric Partrat
    epbb@club-internet.fr

A WORLD OF PINGUICULA
    www.pinguicula.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    About the 'Aphrodite', I grow a clone of this plant, which I received from Jan Flisek(2-3 years ago) and it looks very different from the 'Aphrodite' on: P.'Aphrodite'
    For one thing, the lobes on the corolla of my clone is much more rounded than the plant shown on the pic. Also, occasionally at the LACPS meetings, other growers bring in P.'Aphrodite' to show, but their plants are a golden green(like gigantea), while mine is reddish. I highly doubt that this is due to lighting as they grow their plants in greenhouses with 50-70% shade(I use 70% shade). I cannot see how these clones are identical.
    Otherwise, this is a very nice and easy to grow hybrid.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast