Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pinguicula 'Weser' vs 'Sethos'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/Pinguicula.html

Using the photo links just compiled by BobZ and comparing images to the formal cultivar descriptions it appears that there may be a bit of confusion between Pinguicula 'Weser' and Pinguicula 'Sethos'. It seems that most persons growing P. 'Weser' may be growing mis-identified P. 'Sethos' instead. Even the image used as a standard for P. 'Weser' appears to possibly be mis-identified.

If you received Pinguicula 'Weser' from me recently in my give-away, please make note that it very well may be Pinguicula 'Sethos' instead.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Joseph

Are you saying that the plants that look like this are in fact Pinguicula 'Sethos'? Sethos?.

I'm quite prepared to accept your I.D., based on the original description, plants that look like this are produced in their 1000s by dutch nurseries and distributed labelled as P. 'Weser' throughout Europe.

Is there a photograph of genuine P. 'Weser' on the web? Is this one?
    P. Weser?.

I grow two plants with similar, but significantly different flowers, which were both obtained, labelled as P. 'Weser'. One is identical to the plants you now think to be P. 'Sethos' and the other I obtained from Peter Cole, when he ran Cambrian Carnivores in the UK (now unfortunately, no longer trading). These plants are not in flower at the moment, but when they do, I shall look very closely at them, they definitively have the purple-veining, I'm not sure about the shape of the white area around the throat. They do not, however, look anything like the photograph in the second link. If I think they fit the original description for P. 'Weser', I will endeavour to post a photograph of the flower.

Thanks for pointing out this I.D. mix-up.

Cheers

Vic

They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joseph,

Thank you for the information and taking the time to let everyone know.

Issues like this are what truly make things like this board so valuable. Misidentification and improper naming are 2 of the problems cp growers are always running into and anything that assists in getting these issues cleared up and knowledge out to the general population of growers is wonderful.

With that said I have an issue that I would love to find a way to resolve. Living in a harsh climate, most of my plants spend alot of the year indoors and under lights, less than optimal conditions but the best I can provide. My plants do not always show the best color and in some cases the plant shape itself has changed to adapt to the conditions it is in. so when I go out to search through descriptions and pictures available my plants do not match with the posted information. I understand that people want to show the plants in their best condition in thier pictures - brightest colors, best shaped, etc - this unfornately doesn't always apply to my plants and it makes identification difficult. I would love to set up a location where people could post pictures of their plants - but only if the identity is certain - that would show the plants in all their variations and the conditions the plant is grown in. Let me know your thoughts and if this would fly - I will set up a method to make it happen.

Thanks & Cheers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, my impression, after examining all the posted image links and carefully evaluating the written descriptions, that even this link Pinguicula 'Sethos' is not Pinguicula 'Weser', but rather it is Pinguicula 'Sethos'. I am also not convinced that the link Pinguicula 'Weser' is correctly identified either. But I do believe there is a true Pinguicula 'Weser' in cultivation and I would like to obtain one to add to my own collection.

I invite comment.

Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe that the Pinguicula 'Weser' photo at sarracenia.com is the true thing. It has the solitary white streak on the lower central lobe. The lighting might be covering up the darker veins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...that even this link Pinguicula 'Sethos' is not Pinguicula 'Weser', but rather it is Pinguicula 'Sethos'.[/QUOTE]

You mean the link of 'Weser' is not 'Weser', but rather it is 'Sethos' [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

I believe this is true also, but it is hard to tell because of the lighting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wrote a note to Barry (sarracenia.com) last week telling him about this discussion in hopes that he might interact. If so moved, some of you might drop him a note asking his opinion on the 'Weser'/'Sethos' confusion.

-Bob-
    http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As many persons, I bought plants from garden centers (Dutch nursery at the origin). The plants are very often mislabelled.

When you do a crossing, you have many differences between flowers in the result. If you choose one nicer for exemple, this one can be published as a cultivar. This way, the only possibility to multiplicate is via cuttings only. A new seedling will do many other things not the parent.

Officialy, you must see the picture in slack book "carnivorous plants and how to grow them" :
    P. 'Weser' has the solitary white streak on the lower central lobe
    P. 'sethos' don't. It is closer than a white spot in star (I don't have the true english word sorry).

In Dutch nursery, they did the first croos of Slack and saw all the seeds and give to all he plants the name 'weser' !

It is false. You can buy the original and true clone in J.J. LABAT, NATURE ET PAYSAGE Nursery. He bought it from A. Slack himself many years before.
    His nursery is a worth to see, and he is a really botanic professional.

Here is the link. He do worldwide mail but it is not possible yet to buy on-line. http://www.natureetpaysages.com/
    Eric Partrat
    epbb@club-internet.fr

A WORLD OF PINGUICULA
    www.pinguicula.org

9. Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast