What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two Ping Questions

I have a pretty little Ping that needs to be identified.  I've been waiting patiently for it to re-bloom so I could post a picture to help ID it.  The day before I was going to take the picture, this happened:

PICT0021c.jpg

So now I have two questions:  Does anyone have a guess as to what happened to the flower stem (the Ping wasn't disturbed in any way that I know of) and can anybody ID the plant?  The rosette is about 5/8", BTW.

Thanks.

The plant is Pinguicula esseriana.

The flower stem may have been damaged by an insect, once they are injured they collapse and die very quickly.

This plant is VERY easy to propogate. In winter/early spring when the plant is in its winter leaf stage, remove some of the outer ones and lie them on the pot or put them into a new pot. New plants will sprout from the end in a matter of weeks!

Richard UK - Thanks a lot!
biggrin.gif

...and it also looks like the alba form of esseriana. Mind me asking, but did you get this plant in a nursery in the US?

I definitely got it in the US.  I think I know where I got it (if I'm right, it's a dead end - the last time I asked, he told me that he no longer grows Pings) but it could have been at least two other nurseries...  It's frustrating - I usually keep very good records but this one slipped through the cracks.

good lord, the leaves are beautiful! Im so glad im getting one!

Hi Merlin,
Is it a white flowered or is it pink flowered with excess light shining upon it?

Hey timbudtwo,

Do you happen to know a source in US for esseriana 'alba' or 'giant, pink flowered'?

CP2k - The flowers are a pale pink (with a slight blue caste). Sorry if the picture misled you.

no, i only know a place in canada to get it. Its 10 dollars for it to be shiped to you (shipping 5, plant 5). But you get two plants! Private message me if you want the location.

The flower looks nice even when it is not the alba form:)

Yup, the flower is pretty.  But it would be a lot prettier on an intact stem...

Back