What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey Guys,

It is starting to get cold here and I have some Pinguicula species that im not sure if they have to have dorrmancys or what kind.  I seem to have miss-places my "Savage Garden" book and cant find any info on google. So please if you can just tell me one or two species or even all of them that would be great.  I will add the dormancys off the side of the plant when i find them so if other people need to know too.
Here is the list.
P. gigantea:
P. ehlersiae:
P. primuliflora:
P. lutea:
P. rotundiflora:
P. cyclosecta:
P. x Weser:
P. jaumavensis:
P. vulgaris:
P. moranensis 'G':
P. x Titan:

Thank You!!!
Michael

The quick and dirty info (I am pressed for time, sorry)

P. gigantea:
P. ehlersiae:
P. rotundiflora:
P. cyclosecta:
P. x Weser:
P. jaumavensis:
P. moranensis 'G':
P. x Titan:

Are all Mexi-Pings, wait for them to reduce the size of their leaves and then ease back on the water, keeping them only just damp. I don't think any need to be bone dry but I might be wrong.

P. primuliflora:
P. lutea:

Warm temperates, might survive outside here in Atlanta but I would error on the side of caution and protect them from anything below 40F

P. vulgaris:

Cold temperate, this guy forms a winter resting bud, I'd leave it outside in an exposed place so it can get as cold as possible. Failing that, once its winter bud is formed you can toss it in the fridge.

Hope this is at least a good start for you

P. gigantea can be grown without a dry dormancy.
I have grown P. ehlersiae, P. x Sethos (same parents as P. x Weser) and moranensis 'G' damp during the winter with no problems. The rest should be kept on the dry side during the winter.

Back