What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I bet y'all know exactly what i'm about to say....

FlytrapGurl

apple rings.. what more can i say?
***screeches and yells ''BUTTERWORT!!!''*** Yes, my friends, my friend bought me ANOTHER CP! A Butterwort! Well, I don't exactly have it yet... but soon today! She's bringing it over along with her CPs and her leopard gecko, all for ME to take care of while she's gone to Georgia! Anyhowees, I'M GETTING A BUTTERWORT!!! ***dances around like an idiot*** I'm not sure what species yet. I'll have to do some ''picture research'' on Google once the ''baby'' gets here!

So any GROWING tips?

Thanx!
       A, once again, ecstatic FTG

P.S. The friends need to quit giving me so many CPs! I'm running out of room here!!!
rolleyes.gif

When you receive your Pinguicula primuliflora (as I'm almost certain it is going to be), give it plenty of humidity and light and it should do well.  I guess one could say you could grow it in similar conditions as D. adelae.

Good luck! ... now calm down.....
wink.gif

Okay... ***takes deep breaths*** in... out... in.... out..... okay... I think I can talk in a normal voice now LOL
tounge.gif
I'm pretty sure that it will be primuliflora(I spelled that right, right?)because I've seen the ones that my friend had, which she got at the same place as the one she's giving me, and they look like primuliflora. YAY!!! Whoops... calm... ***deep breath***... down...

Okay, since it's only easy to ID Pings with a pic of a flower, can y'all post some pics of Ping plants/flowers with labels telling what species it is?

Thanks a bunch!!!
FTG

P.S. I don't have the plant yet. She's bringing it over around 5 P.M.

***dances around once again like an idiot yelling ''BUTTERWORT!!!''*** It's here!!! It's about three inches in diameter and has nice, healthy leaves with just a couple brown edges. It has a flower stalk starting to come up and it looks like it just might turn out to be white! YAYAYAYAYAYIGOTMYBUTTERWORTYAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!

If it is a North American Pinguicula species, and the flower is white, it is likely to be P. ionatha.  Let us know when the flower opens and I am sure someone will have a photo to compare it to.

Are there any babies forming at the tips of the leaves?  If so, it is probably P. primuliflora.

A good place to look to compare your plant with others is:

http://www.humboldt.edu/~rrz7001/Pinguicula.html

Thanks Tamlin! Well, I will have to look close at it tomorrow. The plant does have a bulge at the tip of one of the leaves, though. I will tell you more tomorrow, for I am going to head off to bed in a couple minutes. Any last-minute advice you want to give me, this is the best time to give it. BTW, I've got it under the same kind of greenhouse thingie as I used for the sundew - another 1 liter bottle half.

Well, I shall go to bed now.

Goodnight!
FTG

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">since it's only easy to ID Pings with a pic of a flower,[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>.

Yes, it should be the only way to identify a species but the more I visit wild locations, the more I am lost :

Have a look :
Variations

Cheers

Eric,

Patrice has educated me against just trusting the flowers for ID as well. Probably floral ID is possible for the North American species though, there are few instances of albino forms, except in P. ionatha, although I am sure they are "out there"

Incidently, hibernacula of the same parent plant of P. grandiflora produced different floral coloration for me, possibly due to the different media I grew them in!

Well, the flower is just now starting to open a little. It still looks like it's going to be white. and it looks like the kind of flower that will have the hand-like part ''holding'' it. Also, I notice today that there is at least two offshoots with it in the pot, so I'll change ''one unknown Pinguicula'' to ''potfull of unknown Pinguicula'' in my signature 
tounge.gif

(had to delete growlist in sig because I was informed that it took up too much space)

It flowered today! It's white with a bright yellow center and brown stripes on the inside roof of the flower, and the part that ''holds'' the flower looks like a hand. It's definitely a pumila. The flower looks EXACTLY like the one in Vic Brown's post ''P. pumila - i'm in love!''

So now it's been identified! WOOWOO!!! ***dances around like an idiot***

P.S. How do you pronouce ''pumila'' anyway???

Don't get too excited. P. pumila is not a commonly grown and distributed plant, especially by commercial nurseries. It is far more probable that your plant is P. primuliflora, esp. considering the yellow center. Also, P. pumila does not offset whereas P. primuliflora is noted for this, reproducing from the leaf tips.

I'm gonna also guess it's primuliflora - for me the flower is white at first, turns pinkish, finally purple. Also has the yellow center.

Really? Okay... I'll just wait a little while and see how the flower behaves
smile.gif

GAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!! THE SLUGS! THE SNAILS!!! THE WHATEVER THAT DID THIS!!! Something ate off half the petals on the flower!!!
mad.gif
And the petals that are still there got their edges eaten!!!
mad.gif
***runs to kitchen cabinet and grabs salt shaker***

Errr, that might not be the best plan, I can't imagine that Pinguicula would much care for salt exposure.

***stares for a moment, trying to comprehend what Tamlin said, then...*** NONONO! I'm DEFINITELY not going to put the salt anywhere on the plant/in the pot! I'm just going to spread some around the pot! Good Lord, I'm not that much of a dolt! LOL j/k
rolleyes.gif

Cool, I wish mine would finesh a flower some time. It gets about 1 inch tall and promply goes splat. When I got it I thought it odd that it has an aborted flower staulk because I got it from a place that takes good care of their CPs, but it's done it again since I got it home and it's really anoying, lol. Oviously it's a picky little thing.

Anyhow, congrats on the new CP and getting a flower and all!

Well, so much for the flower. The poor little flower... first it gets half-eaten by SOME HORRID CREATURE, then... well, it'll make more sense if you go ahead and read my post in ''Happy bday, Flytrapgurl''.

Back