Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: An experiment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree, peat has not been a problem for me. I have been using 100% ground peat almost exclusively for many years now. I keep the peat almost constantly WET, I have good growth.

However, this discussion about crushed coral has peaked my curiosity: I have been growing one Pinguicula moctezumae in a mixture of [1/2 gypsum - 1/2 vermiculite] for several years now. It is growing and blooming well and is the only Pinguicula moctezumae which has developed multiple crowns.

Well, I immediately went over to my local pet supply store and got myself a 15# bag of crushed coral sold for marine aquaria. I sieved out the pieces 1/8" (2mm) and smaller and used them in mixes with usual ingredients (peat/vermiculite) and am testing how many of my Pings may respond positively to this media, if at all.

I will report my results as soon as anything out of the ordinary is observed.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i hear you can grow mexi-pings in abalone shells as well because they also give out calcium . i've been growing my mexi-pings in peat with other organic things too and they don't seem stunted or growing weird, they grow well but a lil slow . i should try this experiment or i can try that egg shell thing .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how are the plants growing ?

i got a P. ehlersiae pardon my spelling i don't have the tag with me at the moment.

i first put it into peat/pearlite only to find the roots had all dies and it was sending out new roots .
    well i put it in sand/pearlite/peat , not i'm wondering if i should put it in sand/coral/pearlite. ?

i've been wondering , because they go succulant , do they grow in a sand clay soil, in nature ?i'm gonna just take a cutting for in case the big one does'nt like the sand/coral/pearlite.

wish me luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far it seems like the coral is making a huge difference. I am seeing growth like I can't believe, a few plants have even doubled in size in the couple weeks since the transfer. I am also getting a lot of plants flowering.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would P. agnata benefit from this type of soil?
    anyone know its native soil conditions?
    thanks,
    Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My agnata are in this soil and doing very well.

As far as the native conditions for agnata, I suggest Eric's website

'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting...

Travis...would this media type be for Mexi pings specifically? Do you think other types like North American would benefit? Or would it be any type that grows in a calciferous area?

I would be interested in trying this.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the N. American Pings would do well in this type of mix because they are pretty much always found in areas of straight peat. I think this media works well for Mexi-Pings because they are ofter found in areas where the "soil" is basically a form of limestone so the coral supplies the calcium that they would be exposed to in nature. Some of the European temperate Pings might also do well in a media of this type as I hear they grow in similar conditions but I have never tried growing them so I can not give a definative answer. Again, Eric's site would probably have something on this

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast