Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: An experiment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is it possible though to switch the growing medium of a mexi ping and n. american ping . in peter d'amatos book he says that different types of pings are not always closely related to eachother , might as well breed a p. vulgaris with a p. moranensis . hey pyro can you get before and after pics of your pings in this experiment .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Goldtrap,

I have some before vs. after pics but the trouble is I have no place on the web to put them so I can't post them here [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif[/img]
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe Eric could help? This sounds like great material for his website.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey pyro , does'nt pft have a home page . i knew that a while ago but i never posted pics cuz i never learned to use my camera properly .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CP2k,

Eric might help out in this, I will ask him and see.

Goldtrap,

I am not all that computer adept and when PFT had homepage space I could never figure it out. I think that when the system started fritzing way back that the homepages were dropped.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Intersting stuff. I am not sure all mexican pings can be lumped together like this. When I had a P. agnata , I used Peter D'Amato's original mix of perlite/vermiculie with a dash of peat, and it never grew. When "Savage garden" came out and he suggested peat/perlite/sand/vermiculite in equal portions, I changed it to that and it exploded.
    I think Leo Song uses peaty mixes, but the bottom third of the pot is straight perlite, which would account for the good drainage.

Regards,

Joe [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/blues.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe,

You are quite correct, not all Mexi-Pings can be lumped together in this respect. I still grow emarginata and hemiepiphytica in my original mix (a really complex one similar to Pete's) and sharpii I grow in milled LFS. I suspect that plants that do not form succulent rosettes but prefer somewhat better drainage (moctezumae, agnata, etc.) can take either media, like I said above, I am growing one of my agnata in this mix and it is happy and the moctezumae are weeds in it.

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Joe,

You are correct that Leo Song regularly uses peat in the soil mix for his Pinguiculas. Some photos of his Pinguicula can be found on Wickedthistle's site: CSUF photos
    Some of the giganteas were 8 or 9in. They are growing next to 4in square pots.
    Larry's site also contains excellent pictures: 4.14.2003 LACPS meeting at CSUF
    Also, be sure to check out Leo's gigantic P.'Titan' on Eric Partrat's page: Pinguicula agnata from "A World of Pinguicula"
    These were grown in a peat based mix. The plants seem to be growing quite well. This plant really lives up to its name.
    In my opinion, some sp of Mexican will really benefit from the coral mix, while others will grow well on a peat based mix with good drainage.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast