Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: An experiment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    can those who are trying this method give any reports of results yet? Do you see any improvement?
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So far, most of my results have led me to change my media back to one without the additional calcium carbonate.
    Joseph Clemens
    Tucson, Arizona, U S A

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. Unless people see a true improvement I will not change away from the peat mix. So far it does well for me.
    I am just like a Super Hero, but without the power or motivation.................and the funky suit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am seeing great results, as soon as my life mellows a bit I will be sending some pics to a kind sould who has offered me a bit of webspace and try to show some comparison pics. With out pics thou I can tell you that growth is increased and size is up on almost all my plants.

I would like to point out that I am growing under conditions very different from PingMan's and as such the open media I am using might not be best for an indoor type setup.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I finally got around to getting those pics taken and Joseph has been nice enought to offer me some space so here are some pisc for you all:

These are the plants in my old media

Yucca Do 1716

Yucca Do 1718

gigantea "alba" x moctezumae

laueana CP2 x moctezumae

Now these same plants after transfering into the coral based media (note that these plants are in the same pots before and after):

Yucca Do 1716

Yucca Do 1718

gigantea "alba" x moctezumae

laueana CP2 x moctezumae

The obvious difference is the increase in size but the less obvious things are that the roots are thicker and more prominent, the leaves last longer, colour is better and the plants seem to flower more freely
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had planted an esseriana in peat, but inside a mussel shell. In another post I was raving about how it stank and molded the outside of the shell, but I never did transplant it out. Now it's been 2 or 3 months, and the plantlet is twice the size of its twin that is planted in just peat and plastic pot.

Next time though, I'm going to hammer the shell into bits and mix that with the media.
    A flytrap ate my homework!
    -Michelle

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So wait... Mexican pings like basic soils? o_O I wonder if that is the problem with mine... sphagnum moved in with right after I got it so maybe it is unhappy and has indigestion, lol do you think it needs a tums? LOL

... >_< not to sound horrid or anything, but I won't be able to sleep if I don't say something. Isn't is a little icky to be using coral as an additive when those animals are being decimated by people collecting it for such uses? I mean, here we are trying to grow plants who have been decimated in the wild from people destroying there homes... with the destroyed homes of other creatures o_O I vote shell and diatom fossils... ooo I bet they would like un sifted lake MI sand now that it has all that zebra muscle shell in it... I'll have to get some this summer.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Darcie @ Jan. 08 2004,16:42)]So wait... Mexican pings like basic soils? o_O I wonder if that
    I don't think it is necessary that the soil be basic but I do believe they benefit from a portion of calcium. I think the real goal more than anything is that the media be very very open, perlite or zeolite or clay pellets or LWA robably work as an alternative too if your media was 70-80% made of them and then some organic material as binder

As for your argument about destroying coral populations, I don't think the stuff I am using is really coral as it looks to be just a bunch of crushed shells. Of course I could be wrong.

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast