What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

aphids

Has any one observed aphids being caught on pings.

No, but I've observed the little hellions UNDER pings--under the leaves, slurping up energy.

Otherwise I've just seen small gnats being caught by pings.
Chris

well, no i havent seen aphids being caught, but you shouldnt try feeding them to any cp; a mistake i made awhile back..i gave an aphid to my cap sundew and kaboom!! I have an aphid infestation! I lost D.intermedi 'cuba' cuz of that! i was able to get em back via seed though

I have tried feeding aphids to my pygmy droseras and I did not get any infestations. The pygmies were planted very close to each other in a large clump. The aphids had no way of bypassing the sticky leaves. Also fed them to my P.gigantea, being careful not to let them escape. I haven't observed any aphids caught naturally. Even if I did I would not be able to tell if it was an aphid or gnat.

Oo, you have P. gigantea? Sticky on both sides of the leaves?
smile.gif

Yep...two clones actually. One that is sticky on both side of the leaves, and another that is sticky on only one side of the leaves.

Wait a sec...are you the guy I got my pings and pygmy drosera from a few weeks ago?
smile.gif

What if you held the aphids by the legs, upside down, then plopped them ontop of the leaves, that way it cant walk away... I'm good at sadism... Ask me if you need ritualized, methodical, and sadistic ways of feeding your plants... Hehehe...

AT all costs....I would keep aphids away from any plant. The only thing I know to get rid of them is some heavy strenght pesticides and lady bugs ( just don't use at the same time ) and don't use lady bugs on CP's

Aphids are BADDDDDDDDDDDd news...I had them wipe out some of my veggie crop a few years ago...and I know Rampuppy lost some stuff too!

That is like playing with fire !

They are nice and squishy... Good for CPs... As long as they dont suck out their fluide... What if you feed them to... I dont know... It is probably best to not feed them aphids. Bah, i wish you could though...

what are aphids? =D

na im serious on this one

Hi Havron,
It's a small world:)

Yes it is! lol
smile.gif

All the Pings you sent me are doing ok so far, and the pygmy Drosera gemmae have germinated. :biggrin: Thanks again!

Aphids should always be removed as far from CP as possible. Don't mess with trying to feed them to your plants, the danger far outweighs the benefit to the plants. Aphidssssss, we hates them, my precious, we hatessss them forever, nassssty bugs. They quickly multiply and spread, and if you have them on one plant, better have a close look at the rest of your collection. Two favorite places are the undersides of the leaves, and on the flower scapes. Strike quickly and well if you find them, and then keep a closer watch on the plants: miss just a couple of them and soon you will be right back to the same problem.

I've spotted a few of the nasty little guys on my <i>S. leucophylla</i> a few days ago, and I've been removing them with tape until I can get to Home Depot or some place like that and pick up some Orthene.

Thats funny. With tape. Do you get them right on the back, and put the tape face up, and allow the little bug's legs to wriggle??? Have you ever considered a blowpipe? Perhaps small teeny tiny needles in a straw... I know aphids are small, but I'm sure if you are an african pygmy you can nail the little buggers on the head. Tape though. What if you had them face up, then dripped sap all over them?!?!?! Bwahahahaha!!! MAPLE SYROPE!!! Drown them in maple syrope!!! Yay!!!

I pretty much just fold the tape over and imprison them.
smile.gif

You can probably submerge the sarr. in distilled water to the rims of the pitchers. Leave the plant for around 1-2 days, and the aphids will be drowned.

Back