What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is this a p. lutea

It's from gublers if that's any help to anyone.

Does not look like lutea... maybe moranensis.

Doesn't really look like a moranensis either, the leaves are too long and narrow. Have you had it long?

i saw one that looked just like it on the net, i believe it was P. planifolia.

Joel
biggrin.gif

I've had it for about four months. It was in sad shape when I got it and now it's amazing. Made me fall in love with pings. Anyways, so it's definately not p. lutea. D@mn Gublers and their labeling. I have three plants on here right now from gublers waiting to be identified. p.planifolia. I'll have to go find a picture.

with out any tips, i was going to say it was a Ping. motezuma or a X Aphrodite.

What do you mean by tips? Leaf length or something. It's never flowered on me so I can't tell you that. Thanks for the help. Shauntell

I don't think it is 'Aphrodite' either because that plant does not have rolled in leaf margins. It is also pretty new to cultivation so Gubler's likely wouldn't have it. I'm leaning toward one of the SE US Pings

This plant very strongly resembles Pinguicula primuliflora, but one grown without enough light to bring out its defining characteristics. I recommend giving it another 100-200 lumens of light and/or a photoperiod 2 hours longer and wait 2-3 weeks. Then post another photograph.
wink.gif

After a more thorough examination of your photograph, I am almost 100% sure that it is Pinguicula primuliflora, this is because of the irregular lengths of its leaves, how the tip of the leaf broadens out and flattens and how the mid-vein presents itself. I have been growing CP and Pinguicula since 1968.
biggrin.gif

Thanks ping man. I actually just got new lighting for all my babes. I was using one 60 watt incandescent full spectrum bulb and now I'm using 2 40 watt 48" tubes. Does that sound like enough? Do I have to go and redo it again?! Oi vey. Thanks for the identification. I can finally say what it is that I have. I don't have access to a camera so I probably won't be posting a picture again anytime soon, but if there are dramatic changes in appearance I'll try. thanks to you all.

Yes, that sounds better, I recommend placing the plants within 4 inches of the lights, fluorescent lights stay cool enough to permit this, and it helps the plants get the light they need to grow their best.
smile.gif

Will they do all right at 12"? I know that's far away but I can't get them any closer right now without having to redo my entire setup which I need a little break from doing. Thanks so much. Shauntell

This is an image of one of my most vigorous and productive Pinguicula lutea. A few days ago I harvested two, pea sized seed pods and it has two more that are soon to be mature. It has lovely yellow flowers and as you can see the crown splits almost every time the plant blooms.

p_lutea.jpg

Of course your plant is not Pinguicula lutea, but even so, I'm afraid 12 inches from two 4 foot fluorescent lights will not give it enough lumens to develop to its fullest, but it will probably be sufficient light to keep it alive. In order for it to develop its full character and to bloom it must eventually be given much more light.

What wattage in tubes the size taht I have would it take at that distance? That is a gorgeous plant. It's very clear taht mine is not a lutea now. Thanks for all of your help. Shauntell

Thanks, actually, the Pinguicula lutea in this photograph has flower stalks that are 12 inches high, and they just reach the fluorescent lights that it is growing under. It is the only grow shelf I have that has 8 - 4 foot 40 watt fluorescent tubes (320 watts in an area 2' x 4&#39
wink.gif
attached to a support frame that arranges them in an arc above the shelf so that they are all positioned to direct their light onto the shelf. Some of the lights in this configuration are directed at an angle back towards the shelf. The fixtures would not fit on the shelf if they were laid side-by-side onto it.
biggrin.gif

12" that's insane. Mine hasn't flowered yet. Do you have a picture of a healthy primuliflora. I'd like to see what I'm aiming for.
Wow, I don't think I'd have a setup like that for a long time. So until then it's gonna have to be a little dark. It's wierd because my sundew is turning red and flowering like mad. It seems to be the perfect conditions for it but not the ping. I thought they'd be similar. It's dripping with whatever it is they produce and cathces lots of gnats. So I think it's happy other then the light problem.
what are the best conditions for primuliflora. Humidty and the such. Do they need a dormant period? Do they die after flowering? All the basics. Thanks for your help and putting up with all of my questions. Shauntell

I recently had a data loss accident and must wait until my plants are ready to have their pictures taken, but below is a link to an image at the Carnivorous Plant Database which is a very nice photo of the plants in the wild.

primul.jpg

This is a nice image of a flower, close-up, also at the Carnivorous Plant Database:

primaf.jpg

A photo of the top shelf:

top_shelf.jpg

Back