What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

a little confused here!

hiya,

i'm not too sure what kinda of butterwort ive managed to get my hands on! It's green and has leaf like structures. Also the leaves have all dropped off and its turned into a rosette, does that mean that it has gone into dormancy? If yes, how long does it last and what do i need to do when its in dormancy?? thanks!!

Missjiggy

It's very hard to advise on your butterwort without knowing if it's Mexican, cold-temperate (mainly European) or warm temperate (from SE USA).

If you bought it in a garden centre/ DIY store in the UK it is probably P. x 'Weser' (pink flowers), P. x 'Tina' (purple flowers) or P. primuliflora (pinky/violet petals , white towards the centre with a yellow throat), non of these species forms a true succulent winter rosette, the first two will make slightly smaller leaves.

When you say the leaves have all dropped off, are there lots of smaller leaves in the middle of the plant? or what looks like a bud?

Cheers
Vic

Hiya Vic

Well i didnt buy it, i actually found them growing wild in Mull! It just looks like a little green but now, think it could be a mexican one but im not sure!
sad.gif
i dont have a digigital camera so thats about the best descrition i can give you!! Its green all over and has what looks like leaves. Im probably confusing you as much as myself now! lol

It's Pinguicula vulgaris, a cold-temperate species. All the leaves die away as winter approaches and it forms a winter resting bud (a turion). This should be kept cold over the winter, outside in the UK is fine. Keep it out of full sunlight so it doesn't warm up too much and keep just damp and it should wake up in the Spring.

Vic

Back