What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula moranensis

Hey guys,
My Pinguicula moranensis is going to flower soon. I can see the flower about 1 inch above the plant now. Should I let it flower? Can I pollinate it?
Let me know
Mike

P.S.
I will take a pic of it either monday night or tuesday morning.

Without doubt the most attractive feature of Pings is their flowers, definately let it flower and enjoy it. Unlike some other CPs (eg VFTs) flowering does not usually weaken P. moranensis. Some Pings, particularly if the growing conditions are less than ideal, can keep flowering non-stop for month's eventually flowering themselves to death, but I have never had this happen with a P. moranensis.

You could self-fertilize the flowers on your plant, but the offspring from selfed Pings are rarely as vigorous as the parent plant. Most mexican Pings also take a couple of years from seed to maturity. If you want more plants I would recommend using leaf cuttings, from winter rosette leaves, in Spring. You'll get plants much faster and they will have all the characteristics of the parent plant.

Cheers
Vic

ok thanks

i will let it flower and post up a pic wednesday

mike

where's the pic? it's friday! lol
oh, and my ping. primuliflora is flowering too!
tounge.gif

can I let it flower? :/

My P. Tina is also flowering (I think its started) lol, thats funny! I think i will leave it and watch it bloom.
Kevin

For what reason would you prematurely remove a flower from a Pinguicula?

Peace
biggrin.gif

Back