User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pinguicula primuliflora help

MUtE
    I got a Pinguicula primuliflora a week ago and never grew one before, i have been following its basic care instructions and it seems to be doing really great. I plan on getting a terrarium for it soon, right now its under a grow light and has a clear plastic cup over it to help build humidty. i was wondering if anyone could provide me with some basic tips and instructiosn to help my plant grow big and strong. thanx.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi MUtE,
    Sorry but I don't have any growing tips for you, but while your waiting for an answer from one of the experienced growers, try the search feature to find any other posts that mention P. primuliflora. It's a quick way to find general info and answers to questions you haven't had to ask yet [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] .
    Just click the [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/Skin/SKIN-2/images/m_search.gif[/img] button above to get started.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow mine as semi-aquatics during the active growing period, water visable at the substrate. This species and also P. planifolia are often submerged for long periods in habitat. I have heard tales of a mat of primuliflora that grew out on the waters surface. In winter, I keep them on the cold side, and allow the surface to dry to moist. I get prolific flowering at this time of year. My plants are now going on 3 yrs. old.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tamlin, what do you mean by substrate?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "substrate" is the stuff you have the plant growing in. I use a standard 50/50 peat/sand with a layer of milled live long fiber sphagnum.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am aware of the definition, and had no business asking one of your experience and knowlegde to clairify himself, sorry. It just suppised me. Do I take it that you put it in a pan of water so the water table is high enough to see?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that is essentially what Tamlin is talking about. This species enjoys wet conditions during the growing season and what he is suggesting is you find a conatiner just larger than the pot for the pot to sit in, and then to fill with water until it's almost to the top of the pot. This species also grows well in live sphagnum and is best known for it's ability to produce plantlets on the end of it's leaves. If you grow them in a tray, the tray can be covered by plants within a couple of years.

Regards,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks.

Do I have to go through the archives, or is there a list of types of pings like like similar conditions? You're right about the plantletts, I have 9 kinds now, and that's the only one which has done this for me so far.

Regards

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast