What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ionantha?

Hello,
I have a nagging question that I'm finally dealing with.  I was told this plant is a rare ionantha, but I'm not sure... it kind of looks like a vulgaris???  Please help!  To be honest, I don't know my pings that well.  Like so many other CP hobbiests, I've neglected my pings!

-Homer

ping.jpg

It is not P. vulgaris. The flat, green leaves with slightly rolled edges are consistant with P. ionantha, the shape looks right too. I see no reason to suggest it isn't this species. You'll know for sure when it flowers.

They look nice and healthy
smile.gif

Vic

Thanks Vic,

I has flowered, when the photoperiod reaches 14 hr or so.  They have white flowers on a stalk of 8-10 inches or so.  I wish I could be more specific on the flowers
confused.gif

-Homer

Anyone else growing this species?

White flowers and the longish flower stalk sound good for P. ionantha too. Did they look like this? P. ionantha.

Vic

They were similar, I don't remember exactly. I guess I'll just have to wait until next spring.

thanks,

Homer

that looks just like my coloney of ionantha. They enjoy flooded growing, so i grow my 6 plants in an undrained bowl of peat/sand and occasionally flood the soil with water. I flowers are easy to pollinate, when in flower, just stick a toothpick in and out but withour breaking anything. THe seed pod should swell after the flower petals fall off. Leave pod untouched until it browns and opens

Right on. I will take note and remember to flood these plants at times. Maybe in the springtime? Anyway, thanks for the info. I'll pollinate the flowers when they come up.

cephalotus88, do you grow these as "tropical" with little photoperiod variation? Do you flood your colony to trigger flowering by chance?

I never got information on how to grow these plants before!

thanks!
-Homer

ionantha is extremly easy to grow. I boguht my plant about 2 years ago at a bacps meeting. I grow it in a mix of peat/sand in an undrained plastic dish. THe plants have clumped and made lots more, so i seperated them and grew them in other dishes with the same soil mix. I flood whenever actually, like a few times amonth, waiit for all the water to go, and do it again. Too much may cause fungus, sdo dont over do it.
they are grown as a tropical on my windowsill that gets a good amount of natural light daily

Back