What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula laueana

Hi all I just aquired the above species from California carnivores and it is still in its winter rosette. Im just curious how long one would advise to continue withholding water?
Any other cultulre tips would be greatly welcome. This is not my first Pinguicula but it is my first mexican species.
Thank you in advance.

biggrin.gif

Khai,

You will have to ask others for advice on witholding water from your Pinguicula, as I never do. I keep mine, including Pinguicula laueana soaking wet continuously. The one thing I never do is reduce the amount of light I give them. They are very close to multiple fluorescent lights and on a photo period of 15-20 hours per day.

Well that sounds much more simplified to me so I may go ahead and keep it in that manner. The reason I was asking is that that is the way I recieved the plant, nearly bone dry and I wasnt sure how it would respond to being soaked immediately or whether you would even recommend growing it in this manner, you specificly.
Thanx alot P-man.
wink.gif

Don't forget to be sure to give it lots and lots of light. I am almost certain that mine are doing well being kept wet because I don't ever deprive them of plenty of light.

Since I read that post of yours about continuous wetness a week or so ago, I've been doing this, and see a big positive difference. Do I not also remember you saying not to worry about forcing dormancy, as the plants do it on their own?

Ive got the plant about 8" underneath 4- 4' flouros 160w total.
I hope this sounds aggreable. I can move em closer if need be.
Thanx for all the help guys!
biggrin.gif

I keep mine within 4 inches of the lights except when the flowers would grow into the lights, then I move them just far enough from the lights so the flowers do not reach the lights.

I have found after several years of doing it this way that the plants form their "Winter" leaves no matter what conditions I am growing them in.

While I will not areue with PingMan's technique I would recommend that you not just throw your plant into a tray andmake it sodden after being bone dry. I would instead recommend that you gradually increase the amount of moisture.

As for the formation of 'winter' rosettes, like PingMan I find my plants just do this whenever they want. I have P. 'George Sargent' that has been "dormant" for the last 11 months growing in the same pot as a second 'George' that has enterd and exited dormancy 4 times in that same period. My plants a freaks
smile.gif

Don't forget that with fluorescent lights, twice as far from the lights is not 1/2 the light, but only 1/4 the light.

In other words if you are 4 inches away you will get, for example, 50 lumens, yet at 8 inches you do not get 25 lumens, but only 12.5 lumens.

Yes Ive been growing for years indoors so Im familiar with lighting systems, and as a matter of fact i didnt feel safe soaking it immediately so I let the media absorb some water but not enough to make it "wet" for the past few days. I figure ill give it a week or two until I start using the tray properly. Any opinions on this?

On a seperate note Pyro, are your P. 'George Sargent's both clones from the same source? Im just curios.

Once again thank you all for your assistance.
biggrin.gif

P.'George Sargent' is a cultivar. There is only one clone.

I understand that but a clone is never an exact replica for an indeterminate amount of time they do shift to some extent. my point being that, one, clone may come from several sources and certain factors may play roles in affecting a stock of the same clone from one source to another.

biggrin.gif

Khai,

Both of the George's came from CP2k and I would assume that they are probably from cuttings off of a single plant so I don't think there are any outside factors.

Back