What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ping split into two

Check this pic out!  I've had this Mexican ping since 2000.  Its never really done anything to speak of rather than go into its usual dormancy, etc until now.  I've never seen this before or heard about it.  Any ideas why?

-homer

ping.jpg

sometimes mexi pings just split i cant see your foto
sad.gif

Hi Homer,
Can you tell if they have formed in to two seperate plants yet or are they still joined? Any idea which of the Mexi Pings it is?

Well, its still joined. I noticed that it was beginning to form 2 separate plants a week or so a ago - 2 weeks at most. The weather outside did change a bit during this time ( from summer to fall rather quickly ). Since this plant is in a terrarium, I dont' know if that would make a difference or not
sad.gif

Anyway, I bought this plant in 2000 and it was tagged as a typical "moransis".

-Homer

I find that many mexican Pings, species and hybrids, regularly split into two or more plants. Its a nice way to get extra, mature plants without the effort of leaf cuttings.

This P. 'Tina' photo was taken in July and I have recently split the plant into four large mature plants.

Tina1.jpg

Don't rush to split a dividing plant, wait until it is fairly obvious that they are separate plants and carefully pull them apart, they should all have their own root system. Any leaves that fall off during the splitting can be used as leaf cuttings too.

Vic

Thanks Vic,
I did put this plant into a bigger pot late last winter, so it might be taking advantage of fresh soil/more room?? I think I'll leave it and enjoy the clump. It's pretty cool.

-Homer

Back