What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For My Mother

What is a Dead easy mexican ping that requires very little sunlight? Its for my mom's desk at work... It will be planted in a sperical vase...

Thanks...

An easy Ping? Hmm.....I would say Moranensis or Primuliflora.

Mexican is better... It wont need asmuch soil. I think morans need lots of sun...

Which mexican needs little sun, and is not really big?

Moranensis will do alright in low light, my brother-in-law's is over 7" across in a sunless windowsill. You could also do ehlersai and maybe agnata

do any of those have a leaf span of three inches or less? it will be in a clear glass vase... its sperical, so i can fill with medium to the widest point, but u cant water the leaves, you have to water from the side so that water goes all the way down.. right?

Thanks...
smile.gif

if you water the leaves the glue will just wash away, but it will come back. And Uh, lots of pings don't need tons of soil either! But Mexican's are typically VERY shallow rooted, so I see your point.

I grow all my moranensis var. caudata 'Longwood' on a sunless, but very bright windowsill. These guys rarely grow over 4in for me as they divide into smaller plants when they reach this size.

P. ehlersai is under 3" so it would probably be your best bet

That's a really nice gift Parasuco! I'm going to give a capensis to my black-thumbed friend for a housewarming gift.

Anyhow, pings are ridiculously short rooted as everyone's said. Mine have roots less than an inch. So it doesn't matter too much what you put below. Since the vase is clear, how about putting layers of pebbles, peat, and perlite in a swirly pattern? I tried something similar, here's my first try:
sarr.jpg

It's too late, but thanks for the idea. I may try next plant...
wink.gif
All my pings are gonna get this potting... it gives it enough humididyt...

I have mine with a perlite and vermiculite mix, with a pinch of gypsum...

With pebbles i put on top, it looks almost deserty... But wet.
tounge.gif

Back