What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Substrate questions

Howdy folks...

I've been wondering if there is any evidence of a preferred medium for growing mexi-pings? I have heard a lot of anecdotes about 100% mineral vs organic substrates but nothing that suggests a real/factual preference by the plants themselves.

I've never been to the mountains of Mexico, but I imagine that most of these plants are growing in some kind of leaf mould instead of a true soil. If that is the case, would ground, sterilized oak leaves be the best medium of all??

I'd love to hear the experiances of Ping lovers.

Damon

I have never been to Mexico either but all accounts I have heard indicate that the plants tend to grow in limestone scree and the like. So a more mineral media would seem appropriate.

While it is not a true scientific experiment all of my Mexi-Pings are essentially duplicated in a friends collection. His media of choice is crushed limestone with a small fraction of potting soil and a number of his plants are growing significantly faster than mine.

In a past BACPS meeting, Alfred Lau gave us a presentation about Pings. in Mexico. Most, if not all, grew on cliff cracks, even upside down in crevices. I have noticed that some of these pings had moss around thier bases', so i guess a mix of organic and mineral will work. The thing is, if you can cultivate the pings with a basic mix of peat/sand or peat/perlite, etc, keep it at that. Save you some $
tounge.gif

I'm intrigued by this business of plants growing in an organic free environment. I just can't imagine Ping roots being strong enought to support it growing upside down...that is amazing! I'm still stuck in that old paradigm that plants need soil..go figure.

So I think I'm going to try a little experiment of my own along the lines that Pyro suggested. I have a very fecund P. esseriana (every time I look up it is shooting off new pups) so I'll harvest six pups and grow half of them in a 90% mineral substrate and the other half in a 60% mineral substrate. All other conditions will be identical.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out...including initial size of the pups and # of blooms if any that occur.

Thanks for the replies
Damon

Soundslike a terrific experiment! Keep us all posted!

Cole
smile.gif

Back