What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easy, Tropical Butterwort

I was wondering what is the easiest, tropical butterwort to grow out there? THANKS!!!

P. Moranensis is an easy one grow and to find. I think Exotic Gardens is out of stock right now but I know where you can get them for cheap if you message me.

This species produces smaller non-carnivorous succulent-like leaves during the winter but doesn't actually go dormant. It needs to be kept a little bit drier during the winter though. When spring returns you can use some of the winter leaves to make leaf cuttings. It has quite a bit of varieties and different shapes, sizes and colors.

I like this one with red center.
biggrin.gif

mora1.jpg
mora2.jpg

Nice pink ones!
smile.gif

mora4.jpg

This is what rossettes look like during the winter.
mora6.jpg

I beleive it flowers twice a year. The end of summer and the end of winter.
Pmor2.JPG

pmora01.jpg

pmora08.jpg

Hope I Helped!

One of the photos won't load. To view it just right-click on the red X, then click of properties, then copy the site and paste the address where you type in web addresses.

For some reason, if you press back, it appears where it's supposed to be in the board and gets rid of the X.
biggrin.gif

The plant with the red centre looks to me like Oaxaca (hemi epiphytica). I'm no Ping expert though, it just looks like a plant I bought under this name.
biggrin.gif
tounge.gif

Thats because it's subspecies.
Pinguicula moranensis ssp. oaxaca

Like how S. rubra ssp alabamensis is considered by some to be a seperate species: S. alabamensis.

Never heard of anyone calling oaxaca a species on it's own though. But theres a lot of things I haven't heard of
smile.gif

You were both right, tada..... hush hush...
biggrin.gif

For information, go to the thread called "easiest" or something its by me, and there is loads of info!!! Cant get the URL righ tnow, too tired, maybe tommorow...

P.Oaxaca is considered a moranensis from the state of Oaxaca. I have never heard of it being an official ssp though. Most growers and websites list it as P.moranensis typ. Oaxaca or P.moranensis 'Oaxaca' etc. There are many Moranensis named after many locations of Mexico i.e. Guerrero, El Chico, La Vuetla, Huautla, Santiago Nuyoo, Oaxacala, Chichicasternango and so on.

In this country it is also known as Hemiepiphytica.
After looking at the savage garden I think I can clarify things a little!

>>Pinguicula Hemiepiphytica.
From Oaxaca and described in 1991 this species has long been grown as a type of P. moranensis. It usually grows in moss upon cliffs or tree trunks. The flowers are similar to those of the typical P. moranensis, but with more oval pink petals and a thicker spur.<<

Hi Richard,

I thought Oaxaca and hemiepiphytica were two different plants. Thanks for the clarification. I have a hemiepiphytica and it does not look too much like the moranensis with red center below. The leaf on my hemiepiphytica is colored red not just towards the center.

Moranensis, potosiensis, rectifolia, esseriana, ehlersiae, xTitan, gigantea, agnata, xGina, zecheri, xAphrodite, emarginata, xsethos, xweser, and many others are easy growers.

Thanks for the suggestion, CP2k.

Back