What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ping. 'Hans' ?

I have just boought one of these (or thats what the label said) but I cannot find it in my books. Anyone give me a clue on its pedigree or how it should best be treated.
confused.gif

P. x 'Hans' , at least the ones over here in the UK are P. agnata X P. zecheri. The name 'Hans', however is thought to be a misname, apparently the Dutch nursery which tissue cultures these plants received their original stock plants from a grower named Hans, but the plants are really X 'Tina' or maybe X 'Gina'. Confused? So am I, but if your plants are the same as ours over here it's a nice, vigourous, free-flowering (12 months of the year on my kitchen windowsill), easy to grow Ping hybrid. My largest plant is now about 7 inches diameter, competing with the P. gigantea growing beside it as my largest Ping. A nice plant, well worth having.
Grow like any easy Mexican, free-draining soil mix, not full sun, seems to like it a bit wetter than most.
smile.gif

Vic

confused.gif
Thanks Vic, Yes it is Dutch as its a B&Q special as I pick up a few odd plants there during the year. Its a big plant as you say and is bigger than my Moranensis. Does it reproduce with the same vigourousness as moranensis-if so I'd better put it in a bucket!

My big one split into 3 plants over the winter, I sold one, recovering most of the cost of the original plant, gave one to my Mum as a present and I've still got a monster plant. Mine is in a 5inch dwarf pot (5in diametre only about 4in high).

Vic

Mine is bursting out of the 3" pot it came in but I don't want to do anything with it yet as its still getting used to my window sill.

I just bought a Hans and it's huge! I'm talking about 6-8 inches in diameters, 2 flowers, 2 mmore in production !!!
smile.gif
:):):)

Anybody got pics of P.Hans? I just wanna make sure it is a hans!

There is no such plant as P. 'Hans', it is not a legitmate name. All the plants sold as 'Hans' that I have seen are P. x 'Tina' (P. agnata x P. zecheri). Curiously, the large dutch nursery that mass produces these plants has them named correctly on their own website Carniflora You will find a couple of photos here, hopefully when they have used up all their 'Hans' labels they will start naming their plants correctly in the shops too, but I doubt it.

Vic

Back