What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pinguicula 'Weser'

My pinguicula weser is start to make flowers....there is two beautifull flower...and Id really wants get seeds...
HERE IS THE QUESTION: what I must to do???

If you self-pollinate your P. x 'Weser' you will not get seeds which produce plants identical to it. This is because it is an hybrid and when selfed, the seed will produce plants which will probably more closely resemble one of it's two parents (P. moranensis and P. elhersae) than itself.

If you want to propagate more P. x 'Weser' it is necessary to do this vegetatively, by leaf cuttings, as this will produce plants genetically identical to the parent plant. Seed will not produce more P. x 'Weser'.

If you still want to produce seeds from this plant, use a cocktail stick or fine paintbrush and insert this into a flower, poke about behind the stigma (this is the small apron-like pad on the upper surface of the throat of the flower). When you have picked up some pollen (yellow powder) dab this onto the stigma. Wait a few weeks, whilst the petals fall off and a seed pod forms and swells. When the seed pod turns brown and splits, shake it over white paper/card there are the seeds.

In my opinion you are  likely to produce more interesting and more vigorous offspring by crossing your P. x 'Weser' with another Mexican Ping, either a species or another hybrid.

Vic

I self-pollinated my P. 'Weser' (actually turned out to be P. 'Sethos') (moved some pollen from the anthers to the stigma) and the seed developed in a few months, they have grown quite well and, just as Vic suggested this F2 generation are segregating. There are some that look more like one parent than the other and vice versa. But they all are quite beautiful. I am hoping that one or more will stand out from the crowd.
biggrin.gif
;)

thank you both very much.

Turns out that what I thought was Pinguicula 'Weser' was actually Pinguicula 'Sethos', however, they are "sister" plants and their F2 offspring should be quite similar.

Here is a photo of some F2 plants blooming:
P_Sethos_F2_AA.jpg

Last edited:
whoa, those look beautiful...
those put my P. Primulifloria to shame  
smile_k_ani_32.gif

smile_h_32.gif

but i still love them
smile.gif

Holy cow Joseph! How do you DO that? They are beautiful!

Hopefully this season all my baby plantlets will grow into something...I can't even hope for anything that nice looking!

Joseph,

Are those the same clone that you distributed Feb 2003? The ones that the ID went back and forth for a while?

Emesis,

These were all seedlings in a single 2 inch square pot when I distributed the Pinguicula 'Sethos'.

I believe I have a contender for registration for cultivar status:

Pinguicula 'Hot Lips' (Name pending)

Named because of the flower color and contrast between flower and foliage.
A compact cluster forming, free blooming, handsome plant.

-- Flowers last approximately 2.5 months before fading.
-- Forms compact clump (Entire cluster of plants are compact (3 inches) 7.5 cm in diameter) and keeps on blooming. Has not stopped blooming since first bloom in January 2004.
-- Flower is a deep vibrant pink (hot pink), hinting at lavender with some sparkly iridescence.
-- Leaves are almost entirely bright green color with just the slightest blush of pink. Parent and many siblings are almost reddish copper under identical environmental conditions.

P_Hot_Lips_w-flwr_1-3_comp.jpg

Lovely plant!
smile.gif

I love the leaves!
smile_m_32.gif
The flowers are nice too!
smile.gif

Dino
laugh.gif

Blimey! The ones you grow in the container looks as though nature grew them herself. Well, your name says it all...
smile_m_32.gif

Jason

WoW! Those are niiice! May i ask what conditions you grow them in?

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>This particular plant is planted using 100% granulated peat moss, in a 5"L x 5"W x 3"H undrained disposable plastic food storage container. The container is filled 2" deep with the peat moss and the plant is planted in the center. I water it with R.O. processed water that has a TDS of 2-3ppm. I water until the peat is saturated and I can see water on the media surface, then I wait until the surface of the peat just starts to lighten a little before I again add water. They are under cool-white fluorescents on for 15 hours/day and close enough (3-4 inches) that some of the flowers sometimes touch the lights and get burned. About once or twice a month I sprinkle powdered freeze-dried bloodworms on the surface of the leaves and then give them a quick spritz with water to get the digestion going.</span>

Hey Joseph, where do you get freeze dried bloodworm powder. Over at my place we only get 'whole' bloodworms, and grinding them up myself is a bit of a pain.

<span style='font-size:11pt;line-height:100%'>Warning: If the plant is not getting enough light intensity, or too much humidity, then feeding with bloodworm powder can cause problems. If you see mold form on the bloodworm powder I recommend washing it from the leaves right away. If this happens use very small amounts of bloodworm powder at a time.

I grind them to powder by pushing them through a stainless steel, fine mesh strainer, kitchen tool type. I push them through with a wooden kitchen spoon.</span>

Here is a recent photo of all the remaining siblings of Pinguicula 'Hot Lips':

P_Sethos_F2.jpg

Great looking plants PingMan! I love how they're all crowded in that container.

I loves me some crowded CPs!
smile_n_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Great looking plants PingMan! I love how they're all crowded in that container.

Agreed!

Back