Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pinguicula moranensis "caudata" photo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The darn thing wont stop growing. It's too big for the terrarium now and is living and loving life in the wide open spaces. The flower is close to 50 cent piece sized. Anyone want to enter the ring and pit their Butterwort against this hunker, c'mon! Put 'em up! Shame me!

(This photo was taken last month. The plant is a good deal larger now&#33[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

"Grow More, Share More"

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    wow, very nice. just for the moranensis discussion... what is your media and care? (water etc)
    thanks,
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once my 1716 comes out of dormancy I'll give you a run for the money. It hit 7" last year and I expect at least the same this year. Kinda funny considering right now it is only 1" across
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tamlin

This is yet another occasion that makes me want a digital camera now, I'm working on it!

My largest P. moranensis has a diameter of 10.5 inches, a bit more if I flatten the leaves out [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] , is that cheating? It's nearly as large as my largest P. gigantea (11.5 inches). I grow my plants in Seramis (baked clay granules) with a little bit of loam-based regular potting soil. They just love the bit of fertiliser and lime in the potting soil (John Innes No2, I don't think it's available over in the US).

I bought my original plant from Adrian Slack about 20 years ago, my first Ping and I still love it. My largest plant just lives happily on a West-facing windowsill, I've kept it as a 'houseplant' since I obtained it, and it thrives on it, never been molly-coddled in a terrarium.

Cheers

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so far no takers. I'm am hereby proclaiming this the Largest Ping in the World, until some one knocks my champ out of the ring. Pyro, you're on!!! Come get me man.

Patrice? Eric?

Yup, the Lrgest Ping in the Whole Wide Woooorrrrlllddd!
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Vic,

Do you give your plant lots of humidity? How about the lighting?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no doubts, this is the largest Pinguicula I have ever see. I haven't any plant with this size and hope not having one : my greenhouse is small and would blow up !

I think the use of a fertiliser and loam is one of the responsible of this size but also your care on it.

Is it the adult size or next year it would be bigger ?

The answer next year
    Cheers

Eric Partrat
    Eric Partrat
    epbb@club-internet.fr

A WORLD OF PINGUICULA
    www.pinguicula.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The plants on the windowsill just get natural lighting, my largest 'caudata' gets full sun in the afternoons only, as it's on a west-facing windowsill. I don't give it extra humidity, England is fairly humid compared to much of continental US. The plant is in a 5" diameter, dwarf pot (3.5" high) and overhangs the sides by several inches. The pots stands in a shallow water tray, which I fill to 1/2" max in summer and allow to dry out between waterings, watering is greatly reduced, but not stopped in winter, when it is kept just damp, not wet or bone dry. It has formed a loose winter rosette (the same clone kept cooler and drier forms a much tighter, succulent rosette), and the dimensions I gave were from last years carnivorous leaves which have persisted on the plant, these do not persist on plants cooler and drier, it is just recommencing growth now.

This clone frequently splits into several plants, particularly after heavy flowering, so I doubt than it can get much bigger. I don't have a digital camera, but I have just taken a couple of standard photos with a ruler included and I'll try to post the scan on PFT later, this will probably take a couple of weeks.

Last year I traded one of my 'Slack's caudatas' for a plant which was purported to be var. caudata 'Giant', this plant has very similar, but subtly different flowers to my clone, and has so far failed to match it in size or growth rate in the same compost under identical conditions.

My P. gigantea was even bigger last year, this now has slightly smaller winter leaves and is flowering. I also appears to be splitting into two large plants [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] .

The use of the loam-based, lime and fertiliser containing compost (John Innes No 2) in my mix is not unusual, A. Slack recommends it in both his books. As I obtained my plant from him, and only had his first book as a cultivation guide, I followed his advice. These plants have always grown well for me over 20 years, so I see no reason to stop using J.I. No2 now.

Cheers

Vic
    They say that money talks, but all it ever says to me is goodbye.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast