What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

george sargent

hello,

i just got a Pinguicula 'george sargent' i was wondering if anyone here knows its requirements. i found ver very little info on it and it didnt say much. it just said that it forms a big winter rosette and that it needs to be kept bone dry in winter...is that true? what else should i know about it? thank you much

-josh

The culture of P.xGeorge Sargent is quite easy. This plant can be grown in a 3in pot with a soil mix consisting of peat:perlite:sand:vermiculite in a ratio of 2:1:1:1 although a mix of peat:perlite:sand 1:1:1 works just as well. This plant can form huge winter rosettes(3in is common). During its winter growth phase(characterized by smaller leaves), stop the watering and let the soil become very dry. The plant will have no problem with dry soil as the leaves become succulent-like. As for lighting, I have mines 6-8in under two 40watt 4ft flourescent tubes with 80% or so humidity. The photoperiod is around 8hr for the winter, 12hr for the spring and 14hr for the summer.

Here is a photo of a small Pinguicula 'George Sargent'.

p_George_Sargent_sml.jpg

They seem to be lovely plants. I have only had mine for a few weeks. It had about six small leaves when it first arrived. I couldn't wait so I pulled off all but two of them. Now they have sprouted and I have about 6 more small plantlets growing (well actually more like a dozen). That is my insurance in case the mother plant falls on hard times and konks out on me.

Here is a photo of the small plantlets formed by the leaves that were removed:

p_George_Sargent_plantlets_sml.jpg

For me, this form of insurance has worked very well. I use this same procedure for almost every Pinguicula plant that I acquire that is new to my culture. When I plant these out, which will be soon, I will remove many leaves from them and perpetuate the creation of plantlets . . .

wow! where did you get that ping? Please pm me or post where you got it
biggrin.gif

Spectabilis73

Back