What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you wake up a ping?

Hi everyone

I don't know much about Pings and I have a Weser and it seems it went throught Dormancy in the summer!! I've heard that this happens but what should I do to get it out of Dormancy? Also can you give some info on a P. Weser?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (LenG444 @ Aug. 24 2003,2:52)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hi everyone

I don't know much about Pings and I have a Weser and it seems it went throught Dormancy in the summer!!  I've heard that this happens but what should I do to get it out of Dormancy?  Also can you give some info on a P. Weser?[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Hello,
Sadly, I don't think that ping goes dormant...
confused.gif
sad.gif

Yes, P.'Weser'(hybrid between moranensis and ehlersiae) doesn't go through a true dormancy, but it does produce numerous succulent leaves during the winter when the photoperiod shortens.
If the plant is producing a bud then the plant is probably not 'Weser', but a temperate ping.
P.'Weser' is an easy to grow ping that is ideal for starting out. The leaves of this hybrid turn rose when exposed to bright light. This plant can be grown in wet conditions year-round, although it might be better to reduce watering when the plant is producing winter leaves.
I suggest keeping the soil moist and increasing the photoperiod. The plant should start producing summer leaves by itself.

It's kind of strange.. I think the Weser was getting too much sun becasuse the leaves were burning so I moved it to my 2 40 wat grow lights. It lost all its dew and turned into a succelent. It had been in that dormant stage for atleast 3 months already. I haven't watered it this whole summer becuase I read somewhere that you are supposed to keep them a little drier.

Another question is can you take leaf cuttings from a Weser? If so this would be the perfect time..

Another question is How much sun can these Wesers take??? I'm not sure it can handle the Florida sun..

Thanks everyone,

Don't worry too much about keeping this plant completely dry. Usually the winter leaves on this hybrid are short lived for me. I would give it some water.
Yes, pull the outer leaves and keep them under bright light in a humid place.
As for sunlight, 75% shade or direct morning sun(2hr) is good, especially if you live in an area with strong sunlight.

Back