What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

For real profesional type Ping growers

• Thread starter Pyro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    ping

Pyro

N=R* fs fp ne fl fi fc L
I am in nedd of a key for Mexi-Pings. I have recently acquired some unknow Mexi-Pings and would very much like to identify them. Can anyone help me by pointing my in the right direction?

Thanks

As far as I know, nobody has written a key to mexican Pings, and many of the papers detailing their description are in German and Spanish.
With so many new species of Pinguicula having been discovered and named (or awaiting formal description) it would be nice if a key and a book on these wonderful plants was produced.
Are your plants in flower?, if not it is probably impossible to ID them correctly. If they are flowering try the photos at these websites to help you :
Oliver Gluch's Ping Page
Japanese Carnivorous Plant Society

Don't worry if your German or Japanese isn't up to much, the Latin names are the same.

Cheers
Vic

No flowers yet but 2 are about to so I'll wait till then and see what I can do.

The foliage on some of these is quite interesting and while it might not give an absolute identification I can eliminate plants like moranensis, agnata and the like so that is at least a start.

Thanks for the links

I hope they are not hybrids! Unless you know the parentage they could be very tricky.
Vic

First flower.

Breif Description: Dark violet face with white throat, back and spur are white. 15mm across, 10mm top to bottom, spur 25mm. Individual petals are 7mm from throat to tip and 4mm wide.

Any ideas?

Pyro

From the photo you sent (Do1714) I would say this is agnata, or some variation of it.

Pyro,

I am 100% certain that the ABG1714 is Pinguicula cyclosecta from the pic that you sent me.

Indeed very similar and I believe you are, without a doubt, correct (because you are the Ping man
smile.gif
) but the flower on 1714 is wider than tall and the leaves lack the purple margin.
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">
Oliver Gulch from your provided link

P. cyclosecta belongs to the section Orcheosanthus, but differs from all other species of this section in the violet margin of the summer leaves.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

Probably just a form variation though.

Edit:

Reading back over this I am fearful that I might have offended in my comments. CP2k, I am 100% sure you are correct and I am not in any way, shape or form trying to cast doubt on your identification. I am extremly grateful for your help and I respect your knowledge in these plants. Please accept my apology if I have offended you.

Pyro

Hi Pyro,

No offense taken:) I have tons of moranensis and agnatas from different locations in Mexico and some appear very different from others. This is likely true with cyclosecta.

"...leaves lack the purple margin."

This might be a light issue. The purple on the margin will appear more distinct with greater light intensity.

"...flower on 1714 is wider than tall..."

The cyclosecta that I cultivate has flowers that are the same diameter(length/width). Likely another variation within the specie.

Glad there is no offense
smile.gif

Thanks again CP2k for all the help.

Now all I have to do is ID the other 5 mystery Pings I have
tounge.gif

Post some pics if possible:)

Once P and J get their web hosting back up I will do that. Untill then my pics will just have to clutter up my hard drive
smile.gif

Back