What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ping flower pics.

My first ping flower... not sure what it is.

Ping_flower01_web.jpg

P. planifolia?

IM 99.999999999999999999999999999999999 percent sure its
Pinguicula primuflora

my P. primuliflora looks similar but is obviously different, one being it is not white, nor are the leaves as fat and round and they dont curle up at the edges nearly as much as Dys' does.
But Im certainley no expert.
Looking at it further though it does look like it could be primuliflora, there are slight hints of blue around the tips of the petals.

biggrin.gif

the way I know its primufolia is because small plantlets are forming from the end of the dead leaves. And as far as I know primufolia is the only one that does that.

Mike

I agree. It is P. primuliflora.
" my P. primuliflora looks similar but is obviously different, one being it is not white..."
There is an alba form of P.primuliflora from Georgia, but it is not very common in cultivation.

"the way I know its primufolia is because small plantlets are forming from the end of the dead leaves. And as far as I know primufolia is the only one that does that."

Actually, a few other warm-temperate Pings can grow plantlets from their leaves, but this is not as common as in primuliflora.

Note: It is spelled primuliflora not primuflora or primufolia etc.

Thanks everybody... it looks like my P. caerulea and lutea are getting ready to bloom also.

CP2k,

I agree, it appears to be a white flowered form of Pinguicula primuliflora. Would be nice to add one of those to my collection one of these days.

BTW spelling:

Pinguicula caerulea

CP Database

Doh!! Fixed.
smile.gif

Oh, and just an observation, this flower does close at night and reopen in the daytime.

So white flowered P. primuliflora are rare?

Yes, Pinguicula primuliflora usually has flower color as shown in this link from the CP Database and the white/yellow flowered form is very rare, especially in cultivation. The same is true for many of the white flowered forms of other normally colored species of Pinguicula.

However, once I have obtained examples of these plants I plan on propagating and distributing them to help reverse this condition.

I do feel obligated to help us all to become better at correctly writing and spelling our beloved plants' names. It will help us when we talk about them among ourselves and it will help us to be taken more seriously when we discuss them with other horticulturists.

P.S. Please forgive me if I seem abrupt or annoying. It comes of having been a proof-reader and editor for nearly 30 years.

It may be that the plant is white flowered or it is the typical form, but the lighting is covering the purple/blue.
I have obtained some seeds of the purple flowered(typical plants have white flowers) Pinguicula ionantha from Sumatra, FL., and I am planning to sow them in-vitro.

lol no offense taken at all,I'm used to my spelling being corrected. I do try to spell things correctly, just sometimes I don't see the words quite as they are written.

Anyway, the reason I was asking is that the plant I have that I am positive is primuliflora seems to be pushing up a white flower... odd indeed. If it does infact show a white flower I will be sure to send you some since it is doing it's best to take up all my available space with plantlets.

Of course this also brings up the topic of "What the heck is this new plant I got" (not the aformentioned plant above) upon closer inspection it doesn't seem to be primuliflora after all, despite it's prodigious amount of plantlets. More pics coming up tomorrow! lol.

Another flower from a different plant. This one actually has a hint of pink in it.

Ping_flower02_web.jpg

Ping_flower03_web.jpg

Nice close-up Dyflam. Which digital camera are you using (maker/model), i am looking for a digital camera which is not very expensive but good for close-ups.

Regards,

UtricSeb

I use a Nikon Coolpix 4500... not cheap but certainly not top of the line. I took some excellent pics with my Coolpix 800. You might find some of those really affordable on eBay. They're excellent cameras.

Back