What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Butterworts

What are some easy Butterwort species to grow for beginners?

(Edited by eplants02 at 10:33 am on Aug. 7, 2001)

We usually find that the Moranensis or the Primuliflora are two good species for beginners... as well as maybe the ionanthe.

-Phillip

What type of plant is P. Moransis? Is it a temperate or a tropical type?

I have a moranensis which has just flowered and (I hadn't read this anywhere!) it appears to have split in two now it has flowered. Is this usual? How many times wil it do this a year? Its leaves have reached the edge of its pot - will I need to think about re potting it soon then? Does the fact it has produced two heads mean it is going to double its size?

For those thinking of getting one mine is on a S facing window sill in a kitchen along with a load of other CP's and it loves it. It seems to be fairly easy to grow seeing as it's flowered in the last couple of weeks. I've only had it about six weeks.

Newnut

It is very usually to split in two.

P. 'Moranensis' is growing very well for me , I planted it in a lovely Japanese Bonsai tray . I used half peat half perlite , and used some moss I had growing as decoration over the mix . It has clumped up well and flowers a lot .

I think i used 65 percen spagnum peat moss, and 35 percent perlite

Newnut,

It isn't all that strange for P. moranensis to develope new growth tips. As to how often it will happen, that is harder to say, some varients clump constantly others only rarely. Only time will tell with yours.

Eplants02,

I would definitly agree to P. moranensis being a good beginner plant, you might also want to try P. x 'Sethos' if you can find it. Both of them are Mexican (Tropical)Pings and can take a fair amount of abuse.

Pyro

I've had good luck with my Lustancia, its a nice plant and I don't have to mess with it much. It just kinda is cool and is there and grows and stuff lol.

Are there any hybraids out there that are an easy grower?

Back