What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Easy Mexicans

I'm planning on constructing a hot house for my neps, and I was wondering if you could give me tips on a easy mexi ping.
confused.gif
I've read that these do well in a hot house. So any care, pics and tips would be appreciated
smile.gif
tounge.gif
biggrin.gif

thanks!
J
smile.gif

Most any Mexi-Pings are easy. For a starter I would recommend moranensis or ehlersai.

I use a media of 1:1:1:1 perlite:vermiculite:charcoal:milled sphag and water by tray. Allow the species that form bulbs to dry out completlywhen dormant, the others keep only damp.

I use Perlite and Vermiculite 1:1, and I also took a piece of gypsum from from my rock collection, and smashed a bit off, crushed it with a hammer...I only used about two pinches of perltie sized pieces for a regular four inch pot...

Ok, I think that I'l be getting some from someone I know...
smile.gif
It's actually someone all of you guys know...

Actually, I ain't sayin' nothin', uh-ah! nope! Really! Ok, sorry just don't want anyone to think anything...
tounge.gif
confused.gif
wink.gif

In my opinion the easiest mexican Pings are those species which don't need a cool, dry dormancy and can live quite happily on a windowsill (E or W is best) inside the house all year. P. emarginata and P. moctezumae are like this and they will both grow well in peat/sand mixes (a bit sandier than most CPs) so theres no need to go out and buy other soil mix ingredients.
Some of the hybrids sold in garden centres over here in the UK are also very easy to grow: P x Weser and P x Tina (usually sold mis-named as P. 'Hans&#39
wink.gif
P. moranensis and P. elhersae are as Pyro says very easy and I would also reccomend P. esseriana, which I find easier, and very easy to propergate from leaf cuttings.

Cheers
Vic

Back