What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Edges of the leaves turning brown

M

memento

Hello,

What's wrong ? Since I extracted and repotted a single ping from my "cluster", the outside edges of the leaves are turning brown a few days after they sprout up.

See the cluster where it comes from (pic taken a few months ago)
multiping.jpg
, which is growing farewell.

But the extracted ping seems to have a problem :
brownleaves.jpg

Do not take into account the color difference, which is due to different light and camera.

The worry is that new leaves seem fine the first 2-3 days, but they start browning from the outer edge shortly after.

The media used is the same (as far as I know, as I prepared it six months ago), they are in the same terrarium, with the same conditions of light and moist.

Strange thing, the pot previously hosted a baby nepenthes, which I tried to grow by leaf cutting of my mature plant. It did not work very well, the small plant died quickly. Another leaf cutting from the same mother in another pot did very well.

Could the soil in this specific pot have a problem ?

Any clue will be really appreciated !

Thanks.

I have also seen this kind of thing happen under various other situations:

- roots being eaten by fungus gnat larvae
- roots attacked by nematodes
- leaves being damaged by physical attack
- too strong light + too low humidity
- sour media
- water staying on leaves too long
- too cold or too hot water touching leaves
- the list goes on . . .

Hi PinguiculaMan and Memento

You are absolutely right as usual.

I will try to excluded solutions to help memento.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">- roots being eaten by fungus gnat larvae. [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Fungus gnats should be cught on the leaves of the plants around. Most of the time, fungus gnats larvae only feed on decomposed organic material, like peat for exemple, not on living material.

- </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">roots attacked by nematodes[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
This will lead to a fungus attack by Fusarium that will kill the plant from the center to the edge in few days. This is the unfortunately famous brown heart death.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">- leaves being damaged by physical attack[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
You should remember if you have done a bad way.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">- too strong light + too low humidity[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
This will be a strong possibility but I have noted on the picture that the plant should be under artificial light (the quality of the picture in yellow color confirm this no?).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">- sour media[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
It could be possible but in my opinion, the result will be brown leaves from the heart to the edge. It is written that the leaves are ok for a little time and then goes burnt.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">- water staying on leaves too long[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
The leaves would appear burnt only if sun is shinning directly on : the magnifying glass effect. (not sure of the word)

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">- too cold or too hot water touching leaves[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
In a terrarium, inside your house, you should remember if you have done a bad way.

- </span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the list goes on . . .[[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I will had the use of a bad chemical product againts pests for exemple that could have burnt the leaves.

I really think of a spider mites bites because your past plants in the same pot died also.

I agree that all of the above are possibilities. However, it seem likely to me that damage to and inability to repair the root system may be a likely cause of the problem. If a plant is experiencing difficulties transporting water then the observed symptoms of leaf browning from the outer edges will occur.

You don't say what the medium is that the plant is growing in, but to my eye, it looks like it is mainly peat. If this is so and you are growing the plant too wet, then the roots will rot rather growing strong and healthy and this problem will be even worse if the root system was small or damaged during transplanting. Mexican pings really do appreciate a very open and free-draining mix, which allows aeration of the roots and stimulates deeper root development, as the plants 'search' down in the pot for water. If you only have access to perlite as a draining material, it should constitute at least a half of the medium, if not more. My own plants grow in a medium that is about 80-90% inorganic, free-draining material, with the remainder being loam-based compost, with occasionally a little peat, and have longer healthier roots than if they were grown in a very peaty mix.

I would take the plant out of its compost and take a look at the roots, if they are very short and brown, then this is probably the problem. You have little to lose, as the plant is in decline anyway.

Vic

Hi Vic,

You know what I think of Peat and Mexican Pinguicula....

The roots will be surely in a bad state but we must keep in mind that previous plants died.
I really think of spider mites because I had the same symptom. See the picture below.

Spider_mites.jpg

If you fine spray water, I think you will note the spider mites 's canvas.

OK Eric, as well as looking at the roots Memento should get hold of a good magnifying glass and closely examine his plants, particularly the undersides of the leaves, for the presence of webbing and mites (very small, usually reddish brown, creatures).

I guess I'm lucky, I've had spider mites attack cacti and other houseplants in the same growing area as some of my Pings, but fortunately they have kept off them.

Vic

Hello everyone.

* About the light : plants are in a small indoor terrarium, near a west-exposed window (evening sun). I do not think sun is too strong, especially in this season in France. Moreover, I also have small VFT, a baby nep, sarracenia, and grown-up ping and Drosera, who, despite different lightning needs, do not seem to suffer at all from sun.

* The yellow look in the picture is due to poor photo quality and light quality (I had to use a flash).

* The medium is a mix of blond peat moss with sand (cleaned, no problem here). I use the same for all my plants.

---> I think the 2 possibilities are damaged roots, or a spider mites attack. I put the ping in "quarantine", in order to avoid a propagation to the rest of the terrarium, and will try to look closer. By the way, I will wash the pot and change the medium. If after that, the plant dies, that would be sad, bu fortunately, I've had a great ping spring, with lots of new plants and seeds
smile.gif

Thanks everyone for your replies and your help.

A small word for epbb (in french), c'est très sympathique de voir d'autres amateurs français sur ce forum ! Merci pour ton site. C'est le genre de sites qui m'a beaucoup aidé dans mes premiers choix !

Si on peut aider un peu...

Could a fungus be the problem? One of my Mexican Pings is turning soft from the edges and moving inward. No bugs, good light, good watering and humidity. I decided to try dusting the bad parts with sulfur to see if that would help kill what I think is a fungal attack. I just did this so it is too soon to tell if it's working.

Any thoughts from anyone? I'm not a Ping expert.

This make me think of Fusarium. First the plant seems to be soft and one or 2 days after, you note that the heart is brown. Then the brown goes from the heart to the edge. RIP

Back